What did you cook/eat today (March 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salt in major quantities can cause a stroke. And yes bread needs about a half a teaspoon per pound.
My not having salt has nothing to do with strokes. I have a very high natural blood sodium level. Having it on or in food would take that up to dangerous levels. I don't use salt in cooking and have not taken any extra salt with any food (only adding a small quantity when I make bread - nowhere near the amount in commercially produced bread) for 40+ years yet my sodium level is hovering just under the high end of normal. I am also apparently a supertaster. I have just had a mug of 100% dark drinking chocolate (no milk, no sugar). The raw chocolate contains <0.01g of naturally occurring salt per 100 g of cocoa. I have used 1 heaped teaspoonful in a mug of boiled, filtered water and yet it tastes really salty to me. For these reasons, I do not do salt :okay: I automatically leave salt out of any recipes except those involving yeast/bread dough.

You should get together with @SatNavSaysStraightOn ! I just don't get it. I put quite a lot of salt in things. Certainly bread tastes horrible without it. The salt thing causing high blood pressure has been shown to be a bit of a myth.
The foods listed on the NHS page Salt: the Facts (http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/goodfood/pages/salt.aspx) as being high/can be high in salt are all foods I either don't eat at all or make my own. The only exception to this is ham, which I have about 3 times a year. I'm an avid reader of labels on food packaging. P.S. My blood pressure is low - 101/40 is not unusual at all, but it scares the life out of medics. :D

Bread needs salt, or rather the yeast does. Yeast needs the sugar to "grow", and salt stops it going haywire. I have tried making bread without salt, and the dough practically runs away with itself.

Ingredients - 3 kg of beef mince.

ingredients-l.jpg

The only thing I put salt in is bread that needs yeast, and then only the tiniest amount I can get away with. My blood sodium levels are naturally high and salt in my diet is a no-no. I can taste the natural salt in products. I have just had a cup of decaf coffee which has a very low sodium level, and I can taste the salt. :D
The only thing I put salt in is bread that needs yeast, and then only the tiniest amount I can get away with. My blood sodium levels are naturally high and salt in my diet is a no-no. I can taste the natural salt in products. I have just had a cup of decaf coffee which has a very low sodium level, and I can taste the salt. :D

Ok...so, don't put the salt if you can't! :laugh: you can adapt my recipe following your personal need or taste as I do for others.

Given that we were keeping the pork ribs until tomorrow I toyed with the idea of just beans and sausage today (possibly with chips) but given the posts above I plumped for defrosting a portion of chilli con carne.

chili mini baquette s.jpg

Ingredients - 3 kg of beef mince.

That picture was taken many years ago when I used to buy a 3 kg lump of beef rump from the market, cube it and mince (grind) it using a hand mincer. Now I've learnt that I can buy the beef and then ask the shop to mince it for me to my specification.

I gave the hand mincer away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom