What did you cook/eat today (March 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's food is sorted! I had apple, grapes and yoghurt for breakfast with one tea and a pot of coffee, and a mature cheddar cheese sandwich for lunch. Dinner will be the other half of the lasagne I made yesterday. There may be a couple of dark choccy biccies at some point :laugh: I shall stick to drinking tea for the rest of the day, with a cup of 100% drinking chocolate (no milk, no sugar) at bedtime :D

Tonight will be my vegematarian noodle stir fry. I'll try to pay attention to what I'm doing so as ro come up with a recipe for posting.

So far it consists of:
firm tofu
shiitake, enoki, baby king oyster, adult king oyster :rolleyes:, and crimini mushrooms
scallions
sweet onions
carrots
snow peas
celery
baby bok choy
broccoli
garlic
ginger
soy sauce
fish sauce (wait, does that not make it vegetarian?)
peanut oil

I hope to get this measured and written down today.

Tonight will be my vegematarian noodle stir fry. I'll try to pay attention to what I'm doing so as ro come up with a recipe for posting..

That looks very like a chop suey to me.

Chicken and vegetable stew (leeks, carrots, celeriac, mushrooms):

IMGP1808.jpg

IMGP1806.jpg

@ morning glory - wow you are a very accomplished cook! That stew looks very healthy. What flour did you make the bread with? Strong white flour?

I love sour dough bread (which I would not attempt re. the starter of it) but, otherwise, the best bread I have tasted has been the ones I have baked. I have tried various bread flours e.g. organic - which I would have preferred. However, I find that the Sainsburys wholemeal bread flour is the best tasting one.

Are you familiar with the artisan bakery chain called Gail's? Do they have one where you live? They make fantastic french sourdough bread. Waitrose sell a few of their bread varieties but not that one.

@ morning glory - wow you are a very accomplished cook! That stew looks very healthy. What flour did you make the bread with? Strong white flour?

I love sour dough bread (which I would not attempt re. the starter of it) but, otherwise, the best bread I have tasted has been the ones I have baked. I have tried various bread flours e.g. organic - which I would have preferred. However, I find that the Sainsburys wholemeal bread flour is the best tasting one.

Are you familiar with the artisan bakery chain called Gail's? Do they have one where you live? They make fantastic french sourdough bread. Waitrose sell a few of their bread varieties but not that one.
Thank you. The bread is made with 500g strong white bread floor, I x sachet dried yeast, 9g salt and warm liquid (in this case whey from making home-made tofu). So the bread has a slightly sour-dough taste.

I have been experimenting with a technique of lots of liquid, which I saw demonstrated by a French baker. I wouldn't advise trying it unless you are experienced with bread making - but basically you add about twice as much liquid as most recipes suggest. You end a very sticky dough which you literally slap repeatedly onto an oiled surface. Hard to explain in words! But magically after about five minutes the dough becomes smooth and elastic and stops sticking to your hands (so much). Then you use the normal rising and proving. But as the dough is so slack it needs to be baked in a a French bread tray or something similar, so that it doesn't spread. I bake it for 25 mins with a glass of cold water thrown into the oven bottom (the steam crisps up the crust).

I don't know Gail's - I doubt there is one in this neck of the woods but I'll look it up. I keep meaning to make my own sourdough culture - but sourdough is like a pet and needs attention every day! So when I go away I'd have to find someone to mind it!

Chicken and vegetable stew (leeks, carrots, celeriac, mushrooms)

...and home-made bread to go with it

Goodness me Morning Glory that stew looks good. And the idea that I could ever make bread that looked that good...

It really isn't fair that you are such a good cook and such a good photographer.

Right. I reckon its a party round at Morning Glory's. Last one there washes the dishes...

such a good photographer.
You would be surprised - I don't do anything in terms of special lighting, lenses or anything else. I never photograph anything unless in daylight. So I take the food to a south facing window or into the garden (but never in direct sun as that makes nasty shadows). I shoot on automatic setting! So all my photos are taken during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom