What did you cook/eat today (March 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here you go, I found the packet.

Ingredients: ..... maltodextrin.....

It is used as a cheap filler in soft drinks, sweets, baby formula, and all sorts of processed foods. Livestrong.com says "Regular maltodextrin also has a high glycemic index rating, which means it can spike your blood sugar. While more research is needed in human subjects, studies using laboratory mice found that sugary maltodextrin promoted the growth of unhealthy bacteria, which damaged the intestine and increased the risk of inflammatory disease, according to a review in the journal PLoS One in July 2014. The consumption of maltodextrin has similar side effects and health risks as most food additives. These side effects include allergic reactions, unexplained weight gain, bloating and flatulence. Specific allergic reactions associated with the use of maltodextrin include rash, asthma, itching and difficulty breathing."

I think I'll pass on that. My chilli recipe says add a teaspoon of sugar, presumably to counteract the acidity of the tomatoes, but I don't add any.

Here you go, I found the packet.

Ingredients: Wheat flour, potato starch, chilli powder (14%)(Chilli pepper, cumin, salt, oregano, garlic), salt, onion powder, paprika, maltodextrin, ground cumin (3%) cocoa powder (2%) cayenne pepper, garlic powder, white pepper. Total content of herbs and spices approx 35%

Mostly potato starch and wheat flour then! You don't really need either in a chilli (as you know). They put it in the mix to make the sauce thick and gloopy. Everything else is easily added (I wouldn't use onion powder). And fresh garlic (which he used!) is better. Maltodextrin is a sweetener. Add a tsp of sugar instead.
You might possibly get him interested in this as a challenge...

Listen, I think we are all agreed the packet mix is no way to make anything you’re going to remember for more than five minutes. And yes, if I approached it wrongly I could kill any prospect of him even trying anything else any time soon. But I have a feeling I might have more success persuading him to make other better dishes than I will trying to refine his chilli con carne recipe.

Listen, I think we are all agreed the packet mix is no way to make anything you’re going to remember for more than five minutes. And yes, if I approached it wrongly I could kill any prospect of him even trying anything else any time soon. But I have a feeling I might have more success persuading him to make other better dishes than I will trying to refine his chilli con carne recipe.
I will shut up now! :D

M
One of the first dishes in my repertoire was pork chops in a can cream of mushroom soup.

M

One of the first dishes in my repertoire was pork chops in a can cream of mushroom soup.

It is a good point actually, I'm giving my boy a bit of a hard time here but the truth is I started cooking when I lived alone for the first time and I was quite a bit older than he is now. And one of my first dishes was a stoganoff from a farmhouse cookbook where you start by making the sauce from a roux. Morning glory has already made her feelings about that one clear. Ahem.

My first dish was macaroni and cheese from a box.
Second dish was macaroni from the box with cream of chicken soup.

I just ate shredded wheat in almond milk. I've developed a craving for shredded wheat. They are really quite innocent and devoid of additives. According to the hype:

Made with just one natural ingredient - crisp, delicious whole grain wheat. Sown, gown and ripened right here in Britain, using a recipe un-changed since 1893. Nothing more. Nothing less. Just the way you like it. Just good stuff.

Shredded-Wheat-800x450.jpg

Tonight's dinner is special as its hubby's birthday. I've made his favourite chicken chasseur with some crispy duck fat roasted potatoes.:hungry: We are eating at 9 to allow time for a champagne cocktail or two beforehand. :D

Happy birthday Mr. b. :cheers:

Here's my yakisoba, veggie, and tofu stir fry tonight.

First, a pic of the veggies before the noodles are added.

0329171713b.jpg

And with the noodles, enoki, and bean sprouts. The enoki mushrooms are added along with mung bean sprouts just before serving, or somehow they magically disappear into the dish.

0329171718.jpg

Happy birthday Mr. b. :cheers:

Here's my yakisoba, veggie, and tofu stir fry tonight.

First, a pic of the veggies before the noodles are added.

View attachment 6028

And with the noodles, enoki, and bean sprouts. The enoki mushrooms are added along with mung bean sprouts just before serving, or somehow they magically disappear into the dish.

View attachment 6029

Lokks SO delicious! And here am I, drooling at 2.45 in the morning. :ohmy::hyper::sleep:

Do you ever sleep? You're worse than me, but I get paid to stay up all night.

Hmm, when you sleep, do you dream about food?

Recipe, por favor.
I need to thin the taste down some as it is too mushroomy but here you go.
8 oz baby bellas, I chopped them thin, 1 stick of butter, 1 cup onion, thinly sliced, a little thyme, 2 cups beef broth, tablespoon flour.
Saute bellas in one third of the butter until browned, add another 3rd of butter and onion, cook until softened, then turn down the heat and cook about an hour. Add remaining butter and flour. Stir until flour dissolves. Add broth and cook about 10 minutes. Let cool and puree.
Reheat to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom