What did you cook/eat today (November 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went out for dinner to a Korean p!ace. Korean fried dumplings and seafood pancakes for apps. Pork belly wraps for me, a HUGE amount of pork belly, I hardly made a dent. Spicy pork and squid bulgogi for Craig, and I do mean spicy. I took 1 bite and went for the rice and soju. Banchans were Korean boiled peanuts, bean sprout salad, kimchee, Korean potato salad and rice. Soju to drink.

I burned my poor finger on the serving dish for my pork belly. It came out sizzling, and I do mean sizzling. The end of my middle finger touched the metal platter for just an instant. I immediately stuck it in my ice water, but still have over a 1/2 long x over 1/4 inch wide blister.

Last edited:
The in-laws are taking up much of the kitchen (they eat from a mat on the floor)

I'm always amazed when I see film of elderly Thai people sitting on the floor to eat. They seem to stay incredibly supple. I mean - you'd be hard pushed to find many 70 year olds in the UK who can easily sit on the floor and get up again without a struggle (me included). How do they stay so fit?

I'm always amazed when I see film of elderly Thai people sitting on the floor to eat. They seem to stay incredibly supple. I mean - you'd be hard pushed to find many 70 year olds in the UK who can easily sit on the floor and get up again without a struggle (me included). How do they stay so fit?

They are much closer to the ground than we are.

Whenever I even consider sitting on the floor I need to initially ensure that I have a solid piece of furniture or structure to help me up or someone to rely on.

Apart from having eaten a bit of boiled rice and a little piece of chicken, I was amazed by Savoy cabbage purée flavored with grated Parmigiano and thyme

Last edited:
When we would butcher a pig when I was a kid, we'd always cook down the head to get all the little bits of meat off.

I'm sure I have at least one cookbook here that calls for a pig's head. I'll have to look that up.

Cool. I did make souse / head cheese last year - which is a great Pennsylvania Dutch thing my Dad discovered on journeys through that area of the country. I used another half a head, plus a pig trotter. Vinegar, some roasted red pepper and the like. Mine was not quite as good as what I've picked up out there, but it was totally acceptable. (To me, at least.)

Okay, last night I DID have that pig's head. I cooked it via a Cambodian recipe I found online. I didn't finish it, there's a lot of meat there.

This morning I nuked the jaw area (including the tongue), and that was breakfast. I'll have the rest Sunday or Monday. Don't want to eat the same thing too many times in a row! Bones will be saved for pork stock.

you'd be hard pushed to find many 70 year olds in the UK who can easily sit on the floor and get up again without a struggle (me included).

I've got a technique where I roll from a sitting position to all-fours, then my right leg moved so my foot is flat on the floor, then my hands on my right knee, and one big push up, accompanied by a nice baritone grunt.

It's like watching a good ballet dancer. Or a person who's had too much tipple. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom