What did you cook/eat today (November 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went out for dinner to a Korean p!ace. Korean fried dumplings and seafood pancakes for apps. Pork belly wraps for me, a HUGE amount of pork belly, I hardly made a dent. Spicy pork and squid bulgogi for Craig, and I do mean spicy. I took 1 bite and went for the rice and soju. Banchans were Korean boiled peanuts, bean sprout salad, kimchee, Korean potato salad and rice. Soju to drink.

I burned my poor finger on the serving dish for my pork belly. It came out sizzling, and I do mean sizzling. The end of my middle finger touched the metal platter for just an instant. I immediately stuck it in my ice water, but still have over a 1/2 long x over 1/4 inch wide blister.

I hate burning a finger, I recently leaned on an oven (ceramic top) not long after it was turned off. The red warning light was on but just habit to rest my hand. Hurt for ages.
Pork belly, you just reminded me I need to use the piece I have in the freezer.

Russ

Never had fondue. I would try it though!!

Russ
The only time I could get my parents to try fondue, at a proper Swiss-American restaurant, was hilarious.

My dad wouldn't even put it in his mouth. First, he stated that everyone dipping food out of the same pot may as well go down to the barn and eat out of the pig trough. Then, after we convinced him to try just one bite, he got it about an inch from his nose, proclaimed it to be "too rank for me," and put it back down.

My mom, OTOH, will try anything once, so she twirled a piece of bread with the cheese, popped it in her mouth, then started to muffle-scream, "I'm choking! I'm choking! Good lord, I'm gonna die!" Then she spit the whole thing right out on the table, then proceeded to go around to every table in the restaurant, apologizing for doing such a crass thing: "I was choking, you see, that's all there was to it, or else that wouldn't have happened. I think there was something wrong with the cheese." With my mom, it's always something else, never her. :laugh:

Daughter here this morning and she happened to mention she hadn't had " a good feed" in weeks. I said I'd cook her dinner so I took 4 porterhouse steaks out the freezer. Then I realised I had no garlic sauce so I ,killed two birds with one stone. Made garlic sauce and garlic butter.
We had
Steak with garlic sauce, corn on the cob ( our garden from freezer) roast pumpkin potatoes sweet potato carrots and gravy. Grandson was on a sleepover so the steak I had for him went to their dog.
Everyone is happy!!

Russ

The only time I could get my parents to try fondue, at a proper Swiss-American restaurant, was hilarious.

My dad wouldn't even put it in his mouth. First, he stated that everyone dipping food out of the same pot may as well go down to the barn and eat out of the pig trough. Then, after we convinced him to try just one bite, he got it about an inch from his nose, proclaimed it to be "too rank for me," and put it back down.

My mom, OTOH, will try anything once, so she twirled a piece of bread with the cheese, popped it in her mouth, then started to muffle-scream, "I'm choking! I'm choking! Good lord, I'm gonna die!" Then she spit the whole thing right out on the table, then proceeded to go around to every table in the restaurant, apologizing for doing such a crass thing: "I was choking, you see, that's all there was to it, or else that wouldn't have happened. I think there was something wrong with the cheese." With my mom, it's always something else, never her. :laugh:

Great story, I love your family, they seem different, but hey I'm ok with different,lol.

Russ

Great story, I love your family, they seem different, but hey I'm ok with different,lol.

Russ
I love them as well, but they're just like every family. We all have stories, I just probably share more than others, and like a good story, it's half tragedy and half comedy. 🎭:)

I love them as well, but they're just like every family. We all have stories, I just probably share more than others, and like a good story, it's half tragedy and half comedy. 🎭:)

Not much tragedy in our family, but lots of laughs, I remember my great granddad telling stories and everyone hanging off his words.my nan had a wicked sense of humour. I still use my nanas sayings.
My mum also was very funny with one liners. My d.i.l was a pretty dry and shy girl when she came into our family. Man she's changed, she's good at one liners now. Our grandkids are funny as hell,too.
Our youngest grandson (4 at the time) was in the back car seat a year or so ago with the window down. A car load of thugs pulled up beside my son. They had their window down as well. Grandson looked a them and said, what are you looking at. The thugs started laughing.

Russ

Never had fondue. I would try it though!!

Russ

A number if years ago we were in Switzerland, managed to catch the first stage of the Tour Of Switzerland. The ladies were handing out bread dipped in cheese, wasn't impressed, maybe it was just a substandard fondue. Would like to try a proper one.

An untraditional paella. Finally got to use my Bomba rice. There's Maine lobster (small) claw and tail meat, shrimp, chicken, chorizo, some of Craig's home cured bacon that was leftover from something else, some sofrito that I made a huge batch of and froze in portions a while back, green peas and roasted red bell strips, and, of course, some saffron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom