What did you cook/eat today (November 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of interest - how long do you cook the stacks in the oven & are the potatoes raw when put in oven? Just following up on a former question I had re MypinchofItaly's Potato Tart.

30 minutes at 375F/190C and they were cooked through (I know, I ate some :whistling: ), but they went back in for another 20 minutes after I topped with cheese and bacon.

I will experiment but this length of time in the past has meant I ended up with semi-raw potatoes. I do cut them thin on a mandolin.

The mandolin is perfect for cutting them thin, in this way they will be cooked together with the puff pastry evenly. Once placed them on the pastry, a little oil to help cooking

Turkey and cauliflower rice soup.

Chicken Tikka Masala from Indian cooking, Veronica Sperling.
The Complete Book of Indian Cooking: Amazon.co.uk: SPERLING, McFadden: 9780752520568: Books

This was quite hot, I started off halving the recipe but forgot to halve the spices, I also added a little for luck! Was delish though and will do again at some point.

View attachment 34897

View attachment 34898
When cooking half quantities of dishes with plenty of liquid I rarely halve the spices etc but just make sure I use the same amount of liquid as in the original recipe. For drier dishes I often end up with about two-thirds the amount of spices than stated in the original recipe. I like my food to be fragrant and/or hot. I never put salt in a dish and rarely use stock, preferring just water, although for a couple of the recipes I posted this morning in the Cookbook Challenge #7 I did quarter all the ingredients and use vegetable stock as I'd never cooked those particular dishes before.

30 minutes at 375F/190C and they were cooked through (I know, I ate some :whistling: ), but they went back in for another 20 minutes after I topped with cheese and bacon.

I'm confused as I've made individual potato gratins lots of times and it always takes more that 45 mins. Usually more like an hour and 15 mins at 180C. :scratchhead:

I'm confused as I've made individual potato gratins lots of times and it always takes more that 45 mins. Usually more like an hour and 15 mins at 180C. :scratchhead:
Does your oven run a little cold? Are you doing them in a fan oven? The only reason I mention that is I know it can be trickier to test the temperature of a fan oven because it fluctuates more (according to the owners manual for my fan-equipped oven).

Also, mine were covered in foil for the first 30 minutes, so that helped them along, no doubt.

Does your oven run a little cold? Are you doing them in a fan oven? The only reason I mention that is I know it can be trickier to test the temperature of a fan oven because it fluctuates more (according to the owners manual for my fan-equipped oven).

Also, mine were covered in foil for the first 30 minutes, so that helped them along, no doubt.

I've cooked them in my normal oven which is fan assisted but it isn't running cold as far as I know - I bake bread in it and its normal time for bread. I've also cooked them in the Halogen cooker with the same result. Are you using floury type potatoes?

I've cooked them in my normal oven which is fan assisted but it isn't running cold as far as I know - I bake bread in it and its normal time for bread. I've also cooked them in the Halogen cooker with the same result. Are you using floury type potatoes?
There's a recipe here Potato Tart that says bake for 15-20 minutes, but you have to parboil the potatoes for a few minutes first.

Are you using floury type potatoes?
This time around, I used Yukon Golds, which I think aren't as starchy as russets and not as waxy as reds, somewhere in the middle.

These were sliced thin, then mixed with the other ingredients, then stacked into the muffin tin cups. They were on the smaller side as far as potatoes go, not big round ones, so the slices were small, maybe 1.5 inches in diameter. I'm sure that helped as well.

There's a recipe here Potato Tart that says bake for 15-20 minutes, but you have to parboil the potatoes for a few minutes first.

That would be what I assumed. Also looking at 'potato gratin in muffin tin' recipes they do seem to be longer cooking time from raw. This one for example is 50 mins. Recipe: Potato and onion stacks | Sainsbury's. This one from Chef Nick Nairn is 35 - 45 mins Lamb, red wine and rosemary casserole

I ought to move these posts to a new thread re cooking times for potatoes in gratins & tarts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom