What did you cook/eat today (October 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, never heard of it or seen it. Thanks.

Russ
It's not restricted to apples either. Pears work well, best blitzed though else a bit gritty. But if you use apples as the base, you can in theory add any fruit though again it's best if it's been through a sieve to remove pips or stones or seeds. I might try apricot this year given the glut I had last year.

Wow, never heard of it or seen it. Thanks.

Russ
It's not restricted to apples either. Pears work well, best blitzed though else a bit gritty. But if you use apples as the base, you can in theory add any fruit though again it's best if it's been through a sieve to remove pips or stones or seeds. I might try apricot this year given the glut I had last year

It was Taco Tuesday again. I love tacos. This time, some diced sirloin cooked in a cast-iron skillet. Lettuce, some Cojita cheese, sliced jalapeños from my garden and some Hatch Chili salsa.

The photo below is old, but it is 99-percent the same thing that I made today. Imagine a red salsa where the pico is now. I have so many taco pictures, I didn't feel like doing a new one. :whistling:

SteakTacos.jpg

CD

well I was cooking crumpets. Do you cook crumpets or make them?

But just as I had the griddle up to temperature and the batter ready to make the crumpets, the phone rang regarding my advert on a very quiet non-FB site for chooks. It is the sort of site that only devotees visit. It hasn't been updated in decades and if basically a sale/wanted page which you can breakdown by state if needed. Anyhow the long and short of it is that the guy has a new chook that his roo attacked and despite the fact the roo is now in the freezer, the chook hasn't recovered her confidence and won't come out from her hiding place except at night to get food. So he wants to rehome her in the hope that it will help and she meets the criteria I'm after (more or less)….

So after a 45 minute conversation - he's a bee keeper and can talk and talk and …. my crumpet batter had made way too much gluten and well, I'm not getting the crumpets as they should be. I tried adding more flour and water to the mix and it kind of worked but what I'm getting now is more like English muffins right until you cut them in half. Once you cut them in half, they are definitely a crumpet, but the batter is airy, foamy almost and the crumpets leathery from too long a proving. So sort of a sourdough crumpet, but they are not sour. Anyhow, after 10 crumpets have been made, I've been unable to recover the batter so have given up and will try again tomorrow. Hubby isn't home until tomorrow night (late night as well) so it really won't matter for the sake of 1oz of fresh yeast and some flour.

But the raw onion bread is made, the bread is made, and the orange and lemon water kefir is done. The pomegranate water kefir needs another 12 hours or so overnight I think. There is still fruit at the bottom of the jar and it is meant to all float when it is ready. And the next batch of water kefir (it is a 2 stage fermentation process) is still going. It has at least another day to run yet.

I didn't eat the whole pepper beef fillet on Monday so I sliced the remainder for a sandwich of olive sourdough with cucumber and shredded cabbage.

And English mustard.

Another piece of toast with apple butter (and butter), just for rascal:

Note: that toast rack in the background...I had to go all the way to London to get it. I wanted a simple/elegant metal one, Amazon didn't carry them, and it's not an item the shops here carry. :)

Breakfast was a good old bacon sarnie!

I was up at 5:30 this morning to get to the butchers to collect all my bacon they'd smoked for me, from my own Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs. I had to try some before it all went in the freezer, it's absolutely delicious, I'm so pleased with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom