What did you cook/eat today (October 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for you jojopops70 - encouragement to keep the good cause going!

Yeah I do 😊 just a novice at it though, I have two at a time and this was the second pair, for our freezer.
we have a friend who keeps pigs seasonally as well. She refers to them as her working pigs which is what they are, working pigs. Some unkept woodland (25 acres) came up for sale immediately below and alongside the field she owns below her house on a hill. She decided that she wanted to protect it and her interests, so purchased in and has started (about 15 years ago now) to regenerate the woodland, so the pigs go in (usually 4 at a time, she and a few others own then jointly) and they work for the season clearing out the briars and bracken and then the area is left to rejuvenate. It has been really successful and a lot less work that manual labour to remove all the roots necessary to do the same thing by hand! Whenever we dog sat for her, we were also pig sitting. They are amazingly adept at finding holes in fencing!

we have a friend who keeps pigs seasonally as well. She refers to them as her working pigs which is what they are, working pigs. Some unkept woodland (25 acres) came up for sale immediately below and alongside the field she owns below her house on a hill. She decided that she wanted to protect it and her interests, so purchased in and has started (about 15 years ago now) to regenerate the woodland, so the pigs go in (usually 4 at a time, she and a few others own then jointly) and they work for the season clearing out the briars and bracken and then the area is left to rejuvenate. It has been really successful and a lot less work that manual labour to remove all the roots necessary to do the same thing by hand! Whenever we dog sat for her, we were also pig sitting. They are amazingly adept at finding holes in fencing!

That's wonderful, they really are amazing at clearing areas and it's such a lovely natural environment for them.

Yes the fencing can prove difficult, it amazes me how strongman their noses are!

That's wonderful, they really are amazing at clearing areas and it's such a lovely natural environment for them.

Yes the fencing can prove difficult, it amazes me how strongman their noses are!
And it's worse than a dog leaning on you! At least with a cow, calf or horse you expect it, but with a pig!

We helped her a lot when she first got them, were there as helpers when they first arrived and often got 999 calls from her to help round them up after escapes! (We lived close by relatively...)

And it's worse than a dog leaning on you! At least with a cow, calf or horse you expect it, but with a pig!

We helped her a lot when she first got them, were there as helpers when they first arrived and often got 999 calls from her to help round them up after escapes! (We lived close by relatively...)

Oh yes! When they sit on your feet there's no chance of moving until they're ready 😆

I bet they were very grateful for your help! Another thing that always surprises me is how quickly they can move.... when they want to.

My ex Managing Director's wife had a Vietnamese Pot Bellied Pig which lived in the house! He showed me pictures of it on the sofa!

There are none in the store today.
If they happened to have corn tortillas, you can either fry them by hand (hold one side with tongs in shallow oil for a couple of minutes, then repeat with the other side), or give them a brush with oil, drape over the rails of your oven racks, and bake at 375F for about 12 minutes.

Pigs: when I was a kid, we kept chickens, cows, and pigs. Much preferred the personality of the pigs, though I also appreciated the docility of the cows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom