What did you cook/eat today (October 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Egg noodle and char siu soup with my wife's home made prawn wontons again today. The soup is US$ 1.30* and the stall is on the way home generally with parking spots right outside. It's a winner every time!

[*The price is excluding the prawns which are currently selling for ฿ 299.00/kg (about US$ 9.00) and 1 kg consists of around 24 prawns]

Last edited:
Would the off flavour happen regardless of age?
What breed did you have?
We always raised Yorkshires, to the best of my knowledge. There was a large pig farm a short ways down the road, and Dad always bought piglets from him (first few years four, then down to two), we raised them, then butchered them ourselves.

I don't know about how the age would affect the meat, I wasn't paying that close attention. :) - I just know my granddad would always start getting on my dad pretty early after getting them: "Buddy, we better cut them things, or they ain't gonna be no good!"

That was a long, long time ago. A different world for me. We used to keep five-gallon buckets just outside the kitchen, on the back porch, and all the kitchen waste and scraps went in there, then I'd have to top it with water, struggle to carry it out to the pen (which was in the woods, for shade) and slop the hogs. I hated that, because I'd usually spill that stinking mess on me at some point.

Still, the best bacon and salt-cured ham I've ever had came from my dad's smokehouse. I wish I'd been smart enough to pay attention to exactly what he was doing to cure and smoke that stuff, but I didn't care when I was a kid, it was just another thing to do around the house.

When I was about 35 (so he would have been in his early 60's), I offered to buy some fresh ham and bacon if he'd show me how to handle it, then split it with him.

He looked at me kind of oddly and said, "Huh...I'd a thought all the times you helped me cure a ham, you'd already know."

And that was that.

What wonderful memories :)

I hated that, because I'd usually spill that stinking mess on me at some point.
lol - in the UK were not allowed to feed any kitchen/catering waste to pigs anymore due to disease - which is such a shame. My father in law keeps telling me how his father fed the pigs everything, all mushed into slop.

"Huh...I'd a thought all the times you helped me cure a ham, you'd already know."
I bet its a real art/skill to be able to do it all yourself and would probably take a few years to master :)

I have been thinking about taking a butchery class, I would love to be able to do more myself. I have recently purchased a couple of smoking/curing books too that I must find the time to read.

That looks rather yellow & creamy compared to the Madras curry I'm familiar with which is much more reddish brown. What's in it?

Dutch Madras curry mix is always yellow (https://www.jumbo.com/euroma-curry-madras-by-jonnie-boer-90-g/ ) , it's because of the high turmeric content. (Dutch word for that is kurkuma) . And also a tradition dating back to the colonial age.
I think you're more used to garam masala, which is brown/reddish. India is a very large continent (though I am sure I don't have to explain that), so the spice mixes can be somewhat different depending on the region while carrying the same name.

As for a translation of the other spices, it has paprika, turmeric, onion, coriander seed, white pepper, garlic, fenugreek and cumin. Plus my own addition of a bird's eye chilli. I personally always add some coconut cream to the dish, which also gives it a lighter color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom