What did you cook/eat today (October 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally always add some coconut cream to the dish, which also gives it a lighter color.

That is what is throwing me. Its not traditional in a Madras. Everything else you list sounds to be what I'd expect. But if you like coconut cream in it then why not?

I wonder what happens to the boys here then?? Baconers?? Did you get plain pork sausages made or pork and ?? . Reason I asked I won some pork apple and fennel sausages a while ago, man they were so good!!

Russ
Castration is prohibited in the UK but maybe not over your way? I don't think the problem exists if they're castrated. I think a lot of the commercial boars here go to supermarkets. My breeder tells her butchers that she can't just breed females and the Boar meat is just as good, so they do also take the boars from her. She uses them in her own butchery also.
I got plain pork sausages and my butchers Old Suffolk recipe, which have more flavourings: pepper, nutmeg forgot the rest lol. They're my favourite though. Oh and chipolatas ready for Christmas. Pork Apple and fennel sound amazing.....
Pigs , like a lot of commercial meat, poultry and so on, are slaughtered at a very young age, so typically with pigs it is 24 weeks. Meat chickens nearly get to 8 weeks old, veal is about 20 weeks and beef castle 18 months. So I doubt that they have reached sexual maturity to have acquired the taste, that way you don't have to kill half the drove of pigs.

Age of animals slaughtered - Facts - Aussie Abattoirs | Slaughterhouses, killing animals for human consumption

That's from the meat industry in Australia, but I know the figures for meat chicken for the UK and USA are identical and beef cattle for UK similar.

Egg noodle and char siu soup with my wife's home made prawn wontons again today. The soup is US$ 1.30* and the stall is on the way home generally with parking spots right outside. It's a winner every time!

[*The price is excluding the prawns which are currently selling for ฿ 299.00/kg (about US$ 9.00) and 1 kg consists of around 24 prawns]

View attachment 32981

That looks yummy, we are mainly Vietnamese prawns here. My faves are the ozzy ones, strawberry prawns and tiger prawns.

Russ

We always raised Yorkshires, to the best of my knowledge. There was a large pig farm a short ways down the road, and Dad always bought piglets from him (first few years four, then down to two), we raised them, then butchered them ourselves.

I don't know about how the age would affect the meat, I wasn't paying that close attention. :) - I just know my granddad would always start getting on my dad pretty early after getting them: "Buddy, we better cut them things, or they ain't gonna be no good!"

That was a long, long time ago. A different world for me. We used to keep five-gallon buckets just outside the kitchen, on the back porch, and all the kitchen waste and scraps went in there, then I'd have to top it with water, struggle to carry it out to the pen (which was in the woods, for shade) and slop the hogs. I hated that, because I'd usually spill that stinking mess on me at some point.

Still, the best bacon and salt-cured ham I've ever had came from my dad's smokehouse. I wish I'd been smart enough to pay attention to exactly what he was doing to cure and smoke that stuff, but I didn't care when I was a kid, it was just another thing to do around the house.

When I was about 35 (so he would have been in his early 60's), I offered to buy some fresh ham and bacon if he'd show me how to handle it, then split it with him.

He looked at me kind of oddly and said, "Huh...I'd a thought all the times you helped me cure a ham, you'd already know."

And that was that.

I had a friend who worked on a farm and had his home on the farm as well. He kept a few pigs as well and we used to slaughter them, .22 to the head, stick them, bleed out then roll in hot tub to take hair off then entrails out, I do remember they were a mix of male female, and young so taste never seemed an issue. That was over 30 years ago. I couldn't kill a pig now. Too soft,lol.

Russ

I never liked the killing. To this day, I don't like killing anything personally unless I have to. I don't even kill flies, I just let them out.

Grandkids give you a new perspective on life, I used to hunt deer 30 years ago. I remember getting our grandkids fishing rods for xmas about 5 years ago. We were on a wharf in Nelson and miss 5 caught a fish , she wound it in and I pulled it up and cut its head off, miss 5 screamed the wharf down, how could you kill it. You murderer. I felt soooo bad, people staring at us. We went home after that.we havnt been fishing again. Lol.

Russ

That is what is throwing me. Its not traditional in a Madras. Everything else you list sounds to be what I'd expect. But if you like coconut cream in it then why not?

I guess there are multiple interpretations of this dish, as I have been taught to make it with either coconut cream or yoghurt and google does also not provide a clear answer. However, if you say it's not traditional I'll take it from you. I just got to know, and like it this way.

I guess there are multiple interpretations of this dish, as I have been taught to make it with either coconut cream or yoghurt and google does also not provide a clear answer. However, if you say it's not traditional I'll take it from you. I just got to know, and like it this way.

I'm only talking about UK curry restaurant traditions - in fact, as I understand it the dish doesn't exist as such in India. It was a term invented by the English to describe a medium hot curry.

I'm only talking about UK curry restaurant traditions - in fact, as I understand it the dish doesn't exist as such in India. It was a term invented by the English to describe a medium hot curry.

😉Yes I know that, but as you are from the UK I took you to know what traditional was and thought you knew something I didn't. TBH I thought it was an Indian dish adapted/changed by the UK natives but I guess it's the same kind of thing we have here with 'Chinese' food that's entirely adapted to Dutch preferences.

Sourdough toast with marmelade. And a cup of darjeeling tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom