What did you cook/eat today (October 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, looks amazing 😍

I made a new recipe of pasta with a pureed pumpkin and sage sauce which was very nice, but forgot to take a picture.
Ravioli? I seem to remember doing one similar - i think it was pumpkin ravioli with sage butter sauce, the flavours work really well.

My ex Managing Director's wife had a Vietnamese Pot Bellied Pig which lived in the house! He showed me pictures of it on the sofa!

I've heard of a few people having them as indoor pets, can't imagine it myself though, although they are extremely clean and clever animals.

MrsTasty had a big day today, so she got to choose, and she went with her favorite, a big plate of mashed potatoes topped with thick, doughy egg noodles.

You say boys? My friend who is a retired butcher told me he only ever bought female pigs, male ones had a different taste. I don't if it's true though.

Russ

Yes this time we had two boys. Our butcher will also only buy females. He says because the meat from boars is darker and saltier.

Also what I understand is there's a thing called Boar taint. The commercial breeds, (not so much rare/traditonal breeds) if not castrated, when they reach maturity can get Boar taint. Apparently the meat tastes/smells quite different and not particularly nice if they have this.
Our boys weren't castrated, so we were advised by the breeder to make sure they didn't go over a certain age, just to make sure we didn't have any problems with Boar taint, although she said in all her years of breeding Gloucestershire Old Spots, she's never had the problem with her boars. She did say however that you can smell the Boar taint on her older breeding boars, just by standing next to them.

Our butcher made very kind comments on the quality of the meat and seemed impressed with it. We've now had sausages, bacon and roast shoulder and luckily it tastes just as nice as the female meat. It was a concern of mine when rearing them though but I would happily have boars again.

I wonder what happens to the boys here then?? Baconers?? Did you get plain pork sausages made or pork and ?? . Reason I asked I won some pork apple and fennel sausages a while ago, man they were so good!!

Russ

I’m having breakfast right now, choco biscuits dipped in lukewarm milk, sipping a cup of coffee as well.
I’ve added a pinch of cinnamon along with coffee powder and I have to say that it is special. I’ll try to add some cocoa powder next time to coffee powder and see what happens..

I’m having breakfast right now, choco biscuits dipped in lukewarm milk, sipping a cup of coffee as well.
I’ve added a pinch of cinnamon along with coffee powder and I have to say that it is special. I’ll try to add some cocoa powder next time to coffee powder and see what happens..

7pm here on Friday night!!!

Russ

I wonder what happens to the boys here then?? Baconers?? Did you get plain pork sausages made or pork and ?? . Reason I asked I won some pork apple and fennel sausages a while ago, man they were so good!!

Russ

Castration is prohibited in the UK but maybe not over your way? I don't think the problem exists if they're castrated. I think a lot of the commercial boars here go to supermarkets. My breeder tells her butchers that she can't just breed females and the Boar meat is just as good, so they do also take the boars from her. She uses them in her own butchery also.
I got plain pork sausages and my butchers Old Suffolk recipe, which have more flavourings: pepper, nutmeg forgot the rest lol. They're my favourite though. Oh and chipolatas ready for Christmas. Pork Apple and fennel sound amazing.....

Breakfast blueberry oatmeal muffin. Homemade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom