What did you cook/eat today (October 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you just know I'd be all over that.

Russ

With that steak, I pan fried it in olive oil for about 45 seconds each side (both sides were coated with mustard and cracked pepper) and then seared with the blowlamp. There were peppercorns left in the frying pan to which I added plain yoghurt, button mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce before heating and pouring over the steak.

Served with fondant potatoes, peas and carrots.

Last edited:
With that steak, I pan fried it in olive oil for about 45 seconds each side (both sides were coated with mustard and cracked pepper) and then seared with the blowlamp. There were peppercorns left in the frying pan to which I added plain yoghurt, button mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce before heating and pouring over the steak.

Served with fondant potatoes, peas and carrots.

Wow that looks gorgeous! Are you a professional in food photography?

Wow that looks gorgeous! Are you a professional in food photography?

Thanks but no. My background is a ruffty tuffty pipeliner (although I did take some photographs of the jobs that I worked on).

My main venture into food photography was after I retired and the majority of what I've learnt was gained from members of this forum.

Yesterday - Mushrooms on toast with brie & balsamic:

Actually, hotdogs (Frankfurter) originated in Germany and were brought here with immigrants.

Was the original Frankfurter the same as or similar to the hotdogs we get now though? I'm just thinking that the one thing I associate with hotdogs is that they are very soft and easy to eat. At least, the ones we get here are.

Was the original Frankfurter the same as or similar to the hotdogs we get now though? I'm just thinking that the one thing I associate with hotdogs is that they are very soft and easy to eat. At least, the ones we get here are.

I would imagine so, but without the preservatives. I doubt the original recipes and techniques haven't changed much. The actual process (according to my charcuterie books) require the meat mixture be pureed before stuffing into the casing. That process produces a soft internal texture. The casing should snap when bitten into.

To me, "American hot dog" denotes something like an Oscar Meyer hot dog, or Ball Park Franks - both skinless, pre-cooked, and just need to be warmed up. It's what we ate as kids when we had hot dogs.

Natural casing dogs weren't even available at our local grocer when I was a kid - you had to get those from the local butcher, and no kid wanted to eat those. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom