What did you cook/eat today (October 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

My first attempt ever at making beef pho at home. And so happy with the result!! Spent a good part of yesterday working on the broth, and then left it overnight for a final skimming of the fat solids this morning. Is delicious if I do say so myself.

After my wife finished rolling mine she went to the Fat Lady's restaurant where they were rolling spring rolls for a donation to the temple for a "Buddha Day" tomorrow. Apparently between 4 of them (plus one cook) they rolled around 500 spring rolls. I think their spring rolls may have been different from mine.

According to my wife these are about half of the spring rolls that the five of them made yesterday. The filling consists of bean sprouts, shiitake mushrooms, cabbage, Chinese raddish and coriander leaf. I had three this evening (they were large) and they were OK (obviously not a patch on mine :rolleyes: ).

Last edited:
Lunch was a meal out by necessity at the weekend. Only just got as far as life today.

I had the vegetable steamed buns and the farmer's hotpot as it is called. Hubby had the beef curry and the spring rolls.

Half of mine came home with me for Monday evenings meal!

Made at home on top of
  • a loaf of bread,
  • the water kefir (now quadrupled in size since I obtained it free because it was past its best before date, so half is trying to be dormant in the fridge)
  • A double batch of sauerkraut (there were no cabbages out again so I had to ask a very harassed gentleman, when told it would take to long because they were not yet cut up or wrapped, I said I wanted a whole one anyway, "too easy" was the typical aussie response and a few moments later a huge cabbage was produced with a smile on his face.) It was 2kg in weight! But whole cabbage are sold by the head, cut cabbage is sold by weight so instead of a $10 bill I only paid $5.80. Go figure!

Beetroot picked bantam eggs.

This is a comparison of the same thing made last week but with the 6 organic commercial beetroot from a packet verses 2 organic and slightly limp uncooked beetroot I bought the weekend before last. The uncooked were destined for use last week but I ran out of time. I used exactly the same recipe both times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom