What did you cook or eat today (April 2020)?

The usual is fries, or chips/crisps, but MrsTasty has fries last night, so I thought I'd do something a bit healthier, by frying some corn in about three tablespoons of butter. :laugh:

Yeah, I know...I still have nightmares over your creamed corn sandwiches. 😏
And ham, don't forget the ham. Lmao.

Russ

I would never serve those two together, is it an amurican thing? I serve fries with mine. Don't get me wrong I love corn, we even grow it. :)

Russ

Neither would I - not just because I don't much like corn. In fact, I never thought of serving anything alongside a burger except chips (fries) and maybe salad.

Rescued prawns and leftover basa fillet in a thermidore style sauce

Neither would I - not just because I don't much like corn. In fact, I never thought of serving anything alongside a burger except chips (fries) and maybe salad.
Burgers have something of a split personality here. There are inside, sit-down burgers, like burgers you'd get at a bar, and those would either be accompanied by fries/chips of some sort. In a diner, you're more likely to get it with chips/crisps, unless you ask for (and pay extra for) fries.

The other side, as caseydog mentioned, is the backyard barbecue - burgers (and hot dogs) are probably cooked out at family gatherings more than anything else - they're fast, they're easy, they're cheap, and they're good. That means any standard cookout sides are also natural pairings for a backyard burger - potato salad, macaroni salad, baked beans, corn-on-the-cob, and coleslaw. Coleslaw deserves its own mention, because where I'm from, coleslaw is served on the hamburger as much as it's a side. Then it becomes a slawburger, and is a special kind of heaven.

Seafood stew but using orzo pasta instead of rice. We had a dish like this on a recent trip to Miami and I decided to try and replicate it at home, it was pretty close!

View attachment 39672

Welcome to CookingBites :welcome: Looks delicious. Plenty of saffron used by the looks of it!

If you have a moment please hop over to New to CookingBites? and tell us a bit about yourself.

Back
Top Bottom