What did you cook or eat today (August 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did our carry-out from Long John Silver's a day or two early this week:
The closest LJS to me is in a co-branded facility paired with Taco Bell, so I grabbed this standalone restaurant from Wikipedia:
Not cheap for fast food:

A sea of golden brown and not a green thing in sight. :ohmy: :)

Tonight's dinner - roasted lamp cap in a herby garlic crust, roasted sweet potato & a mashup of quinoa, onion, dates, pecans & a bit of orange zest & juice
I took off the herb crust from the lamb & should have rendered the cap down before slicing & serving but it's still delicious
IMG20200806203406.jpg

My favorite at LJS is the shrimp platter and then all those little pieces of deep fried batter/coating in the bottom of the box... 😍😍
Those crumbles are so popular, you can buy them as a side.

Empanadas with a beef/potato filling. My wife seemed strangely impressed with them.
Mrs. Milkduds: These are good but a little too doughy.
Me: I should have rolled the pastry thinner. I will next time.
MM: You made these?
Me: Yes why?
MM: They just look too perfect. They didn't look home made but they tasted like they are. I was confused.

To be fair my food usually looks rustic in the extreme. :laugh:

Ok, when I threw this in the oven, I thought, "That sure doesn't look like a lot of liquid..."

Sure enough, it simmered dry in the oven. I think my hunk o' meat was about a pound smaller than the recipe called for, and didn't render enough fat to keep things moist.

As I've said before, I don't like messing up a meal, and I was doubly mad because I kept thinking, "You ought to check that, dumbass...," but the recipe didn't say to watch for that, so I didn't.

So the pot came out cooked dry and the roast was very well done, and I was mad. Thank god for Bisto, I thought.

Then I broke off a bit of the end and tasted it.

Tasted just like a good Burnt Ends recipe. Almost crunchy, but not quite, nice and caramelized, just chewy enough. Turned out that both MrsTasty and I were rather pleased with it.

I still made Bisto, though. :laugh:

As I've said before, I don't like messing up a meal, and I was doubly mad because I kept thinking, "You ought to check that, dumbass...," but the recipe didn't say to watch for that, so I didn't.

Sticking to the recipe bit you in the butt. Don't put your cooking instincts in sleep mode. :chef:

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom