What did you cook or eat today (August 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fresh Stuffed Tomatoes, my yesterday’s dinner, but I suppose it will keep being also my lunch today since it’s 34 c..

Simple lunch with “pizza bianca and pizza rossa”. Now that’s interesting because it took me time to understand that all over Lazio, “pizza bianca” is referred to focaccia - without tomato sauce.
Whilst “pizza rossa” is pizza with tomato sauce without mozzarella. Both refer to a basic pizza.
If you want a classic pizza margherita for example or any other pizza tomato sauce-based, they refer to them as “pizze rosse”, otherwise you’ll see “pizze bianche” that is focaccia.
Completely different to Milano.
Eating sometimes is complicated 😄

Last edited:
Simple lunch with “pizza bianca and pizza rossa”. Now that’s interesting because it took me time to understand that all over Lazio, “pizza bianca” is referred to focaccia - without tomato sauce.
Whilst “pizza rossa” is pizza with tomato sauce without mozzarella. Both refer to a basic pizza.
If you want a classic pizza margherita for example or any other pizza tomato sauce-based, they refer to them as “pizze rosse”, otherwise you’ll see “pizze bianche” that is focaccia.
Completely different to Milano.
Eating sometimes is complicated 😄
In the same cookbook, I have a recipe for pizza bianca right next to a recipe for focaccia. I've never been able to tell the difference! :laugh:

In the same cookbook, I have a recipe for pizza bianca right next to a recipe for focaccia. I've never been able to tell the difference! :laugh:

I perfectly understand you 🙂, despite apart from the name, there are some differences between a classic focaccia ( we usually in Italy refer to the genoese focaccia) and pizza bianca (the roman focaccia aka pizza bianca).
The roman one (very similar to the Tuscan one called schiacciata or schiaccina or schiaccia) is less soft and without rosemary or other things.
And it’s slightly more dry and thin.

And I’ve just gained a headache 😂

Why is it called 'village'?
It's pretty much a Greek salad, but in Cyprus it's known as Village salad. The official difference is that Cypriots add caper leaves, but I've never encountered this. Tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce (often shredded cabbage in Cyprus), green peppers, onion, Kalamata olives, a big chunk of Feta (never crumbled) and dressed with olive oil, red wine vinegar and dried oregano.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom