What did you cook or eat today (August 2022)?

It’s a veg night:

That’s roasted beets in a little vinaigrette followed by my first-ever use of cauliflower rice to make a fridge-cleaner fried rice (mushroom, onion, carrot, tomato, egg, chickpeas, and garlic, with some soy sauce and hot sauce squirted in there. It was quite good.

I’d planned to have my parents and brother over for dinner on the weekend, but I had a bad migraine and had to cancel. So today I made the dish I’d planned, cabbage rolls.

Husband became estranged from his parents a few years ago (it’s a long and stupid story), and so we started to figure out how to replicate some of his mom’s dishes that he never got the recipe for. We figured out pickle soup and bacon soup pretty quick, but I was always a bit reluctant to try cabbage rolls - they seemed rather complicated.

It took a couple tries, but last winter i managed a pretty decent facsimile, and today I think I managed to get as close as I ever will. Victory!

Unfortunately no photos - we were both pretty hungry.

when we got home to the States, way later I was watching a show with Anthony Bordaine and he was at this food stand. it was the SAME ONE we found!! I bet if we go back I wouldn't even be able to find it. hahaha..

When I worked in Singapore earlier this century we used to regularly eat at a food court but I would find it difficult to find now.

I’d planned to have my parents and brother over for dinner on the weekend, but I had a bad migraine and had to cancel. So today I made the dish I’d planned, cabbage rolls.

Husband became estranged from his parents a few years ago (it’s a long and stupid story), and so we started to figure out how to replicate some of his mom’s dishes that he never got the recipe for. We figured out pickle soup and bacon soup pretty quick, but I was always a bit reluctant to try cabbage rolls - they seemed rather complicated.

It took a couple tries, but last winter i managed a pretty decent facsimile, and today I think I managed to get as close as I ever will. Victory!

I love a good cabbage roll!

^^While I firmly believe that there are as many cabbage roll recipes out there as people who like to eat cabbage rolls, these are a type you don’t see frequently. Instead of just a plain tomato sauce, MIL always used a tomato/sour cream sauce. She also cooked them on the stovetop (there are a lot of recipes that use the oven).

Funny story: in Polish, the words for “cabbage roll” and “pigeon” are the same. For the longest time when my husband was a kid, he thought the meat in cabbage rolls was actually pigeon meat.

IMG_1980.JPG

I found a lowly Costco boneless Pork Loin Chop in the deep freeze and decided to make Pork Broccoli, using Broccolini, much more tender and sweeter than the standard type of Broccoli.
Served over the ever present steamed White Rice and I make my stir-fry sauce on the looser side, we don't care it all gloppy and viscus 🤨

Weirdly I’m watching a recipe for Croatian cabbage rolls on tv right.

They are using leaves of whole salt fermented cabbage then once all the filled rolls were in the pot with sauce they sliced all the heart of the cabbage and covered the rolls with it.

I’m interested in your pickle soup recipe please?

Back
Top Bottom