What did you cook or eat today (August 2022)?

Tonight's dinner: leftover tuna and fish fillets with carrot rice and green beans
1660770827243.png

Yesterday was lunch out, so evening meal was light and simple.

Lunch was a spicy jack burger (yep it was very spicy and messy and went everywhere...). The burger was made with seiten which I'm fine with when it's made commercially. The one and only time I've made it was a different story for everyone concerned.

Evening meal was toast and not wanting 2 large slices of smashed Avo, I bailed to the Pana Chocolate Hazelnut spread for the second. I left hubby to choose if he did as well, and he did... Lol, so much for that small jar lasting me. Woolies only sell the small $9 jar, but Coles sell a jar that's much bigger at $13. Luckily I don't frequent Coles else my diet probably wouldn't last long at all.

Weirdly I’m watching a recipe for Croatian cabbage rolls on tv right.

They are using leaves of whole salt fermented cabbage then once all the filled rolls were in the pot with sauce they sliced all the heart of the cabbage and covered the rolls with it.

I’m interested in your pickle soup recipe please?
I’ll try to get the recipe posted later this week!

Lunch

It was still liquid as it came out of the pan.

And yeah, I know, my girls have very colourful yolks. It comes from the corn they love to eat through winter and in a few weeks time will get even more orange/yellow from a natural due found in the capeweed that is most of our lawn.

If it’s sitting out buffet style, yeah…I’m skipping that, because self-serve buffet means to help yourself to whatever you like.

But if you invited me for supper, and we sat down, and you put a steak, some cauliflower gratin, and one of those potatoes on my plate, I’d be obliged to eat it, and compliment you on it. To do otherwise would be considered horrendously and unforgivably rude on my part.

That’s just how my mom raised me. Never, ever under any circumstances, say anything negative to somebody about something of theirs (food they made, clothes they’re wearing, etc) to their face. You do the polite thing and say how nice it is and then trash it in the car on the way home. That’s those Southern US manners we were taught. :laugh:

I can’t remember who it was, but I really want to say Rick Bayless in an interview, said much the same thing, that you should eat anything offered you as a guest, unless it’s a question of health, like an allergy. If it won’t kill you, smile, eat it, say “How nice!” and move on, because food is love and when you reject someone’s food because “Ick, I don’t like that!” you’re rejecting their offer of love and friendship.
Thank God my mother didn't instill those qualities in me! I am much more polite than she was though, LOL. She had no problem speaking her mind about what she was eating. I remember holiday gatherings at my aunt's house (her younger sister) in Texas where maybe the turkey came out a little dry or something else wasn't quite right and she would say so. My aunt would just roll her eyes and they would have a little discourse about it and then it was over.

Thankfully when I go to someone's home to eat and they fix a plate for me, they ask if I like something before putting stuff on the plate. I think that's just generally how it's done these days, in my experience anyway. And I suppose when I was younger I was just blessed that all my friends had the same tastes as I did. I can't recall a single time going to someone's house and being served food I didn't like. Oh maybe something came out a little dry or overcooked, or strangely seasoned, but the food ingredients were never something I found disgusting.

To get back on track, I had 2 small croissants for breakfast and no lunch. I made hubby eggs over turkey and cheese on a toasted bun lightly drizzled with chimichurri sauce. He loved it! Who knew that a parsley and garlic sauce would go so well with eggs?

Back
Top Bottom