What did you cook or eat today (August 2022)?

I just cut up that pork loin that's been sitting in my frig for several days (cryovac package with a August 26 sell by date). I put some thin chops in a basic marinade to grill later and top with chimichurri sauce and took 2 thick chops and have them marinading in Russ' tandoori spice with yogurt and garlic to cook in a few days (I think that will be nice since pork loin can be a bit dry at times--and hey, pork is the "other white meat" as advertised in the US :laugh: ). Then I took 2 thick center cut chops and put them in the freezer.

Our refrigerator light bulbs burned out last night and hubby had to replace them this afternoon. Never had that happen before. It alarmed me to open the frig and find it dark...at first I thought the frig wasn't working but checked and the freezer light and water dispenser lights were on. So now it's quite bright and all is well!

Thank God my mother didn't instill those qualities in me! I am much more polite than she was though, LOL. She had no problem speaking her mind about what she was eating. I remember holiday gatherings at my aunt's house (her younger sister) in Texas where maybe the turkey came out a little dry or something else wasn't quite right and she would say so. My aunt would just roll her eyes and they would have a little discourse about it and then it was over.

Thankfully when I go to someone's home to eat and they fix a plate for me, they ask if I like something before putting stuff on the plate. I think that's just generally how it's done these days, in my experience anyway. And I suppose when I was younger I was just blessed that all my friends had the same tastes as I did. I can't recall a single time going to someone's house and being served food I didn't like. Oh maybe something came out a little dry or overcooked, or strangely seasoned, but the food ingredients were never something I found disgusting.

To get back on track, I had 2 small croissants for breakfast and no lunch. I made hubby eggs over turkey and cheese on a toasted bun lightly drizzled with chimichurri sauce. He loved it! Who knew that a parsley and garlic sauce would go so well with eggs?
Next time.....tripe? :)

Russ

Next time.....tripe? :)

Russ
I was served that once when I went to a friend's house when I was in grade school. The father was Mexican and the mother was not, but she made tripe soup. I didn't know what it was but I didn't like the stringy pieces in it. I just picked them out. The flavor was just basically a beef broth with vegetables and I ate all of that. They told me later what it was, LOL! I would have much rather had beef stew meat and would never go out of my way to eat tripe...yuck.

rascal, isn't chimichurri just basically a parsley sauce? I don't know how your dear mum made it, might have been completely different, but the stuff I made yesterday could go on just about anything and make it taste good. Well, except maybe tripe :laugh:

I was served that once when I went to a friend's house when I was in grade school. The father was Mexican and the mother was not, but she made tripe soup. I didn't know what it was but I didn't like the stringy pieces in it. I just picked them out. The flavor was just basically a beef broth with vegetables and I ate all of that. They told me later what it was, LOL! I would have much rather had beef stew meat and would never go out of my way to eat tripe...yuck.
Try that crap with parsley sauce. Lol

Russ

Earl and a few biscuits. We had a Sri Lankan curry last night. Was good.

Russ
What's Sri Lankan curry got in it?

Oh btw, what do you call that spice mix you sent me and what's in it? It sure does taste good! I thought of some other ideas of how to use it. I would like to know a name for it, it's not simply called tandoori spice mix?

What's Sri Lankan curry got in it?

Oh btw, what do you call that spice mix you sent me and what's in it? It sure does taste good! I thought of some other ideas of how to use it. I would like to know a name for it, it's not simply called tandoori spice mix?
It's my garam masala spice mix with colour powder added to give the red/ orange colour. It has
Coriander cumin fennel cassia bark cinnamon peppercorns and a few others I have . All dry roasted and ground. It's a lot of trouble to make unless you use it all the time.
I'll pm you. Yorky Makes his own as well I think

Russ

It's my garam masala spice mix with colour powder added to give the red/ orange colour. It has
Coriander cumin fennel cassia bark cinnamon peppercorns and a few others I have . All dry roasted and ground. It's a lot of trouble to make unless you use it all the time.
I'll pm you. Yorky Makes his own as well I think

Russ
I had an idea of how to use it and thought I might write up a recipe if it turns out as good as I think it will, and I didn't want to just call it "The spice rub mix that Russ sent me all the way from New Zealand that is usually used in tandoori chicken..." LOL!

I had an idea of how to use it and thought I might write up a recipe if it turns out as good as I think it will, and I didn't want to just call it "The spice rub mix that Russ sent me all the way from New Zealand that is usually used in tandoori chicken..." LOL!
I have my master kit with spices with some I forget until I make a batch up
It has about 10 or 12 ingredients. You can giggle it and make your own garam masala.

Russ

I have my master kit with spices with some I forget until I make a batch up
It has about 10 or 12 ingredients. You can giggle it and make your own garam masala.

Russ
Well now I know the basics and can probably figure it out!

Chicken Basque

View: https://youtu.be/c79uL_reezA

Well now I know the basics and can probably figure it out!
Garam Masala has no fixed recipe, so if you really like the one rascal sent you, I'd try to tease the recipe out of him. It is the Indian equivalent of mixed spices and varies from household to household.

I have one that I like, I only ever make my own. Recipe - Homemade Garam Masala but it is totally different from shop bought. Much nicer.

Back
Top Bottom