What did you cook or eat today (December 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lu was in the kitchen today. Sausage, black pudding, egg and croquettes.

I wanted to make pasta by hand. Been watching too many Pasta Granny videos...
No machines, no nothing, except a ravioli template.
100 gms flour to 1 egg, so I made 500 gms. Hmmm. Next time, make sure the eggs are large.
Pulled the whole thing together by hand and finally got some dough which I could knead... but the dough was a bit hard. After kneading for about 15 minutes, I decided to let it rest. which actually helped. (Note to self for the next time: if it feels a bit hard, add a little bit of water, perhaps)
NO pasta machine so I rolled it out by hand. Definitely a version of forced labour, but probably because my dough was too hard.
Finally managed to stuff the pasta and make the ravioli. Goat cheese and sundried tomatoes, and goat cheese with pears. Great ! Experiment over - next time, use the pasta machine!

My little sis went to Thailand once and came back complaining that they didn´t know how to cook roast beef, the roast potatoes were raw and the tea was black - and weak.
I told her to sod off to Scarborough on her next holiday. :hyper: :hyper: :D:D:D:D:D
One of my son in laws mother is Vietnamese. She is a very good cook. She is coming to our house after the holidays and going to teach our family how she makes her egg rolls. Another positive is our shared grandkids will really eat so many types of foods. My ten year old and I had a day together and we stopped for lunch. We went to an American restaurant that that had a variety of food types on the menu. He ordered a poke bowl. The waitress asked if knew what that was. I assured her he did. When she brought our food. He asked her for chopsticks. Found out that even my 2 1/2 year old grandson knows how to use chopsticks

I wanted to make pasta by hand. Been watching too many Pasta Granny videos...
No machines, no nothing, except a ravioli template.
100 gms flour to 1 egg, so I made 500 gms. Hmmm. Next time, make sure the eggs are large.
Pulled the whole thing together by hand and finally got some dough which I could knead... but the dough was a bit hard. After kneading for about 15 minutes, I decided to let it rest. which actually helped. (Note to self for the next time: if it feels a bit hard, add a little bit of water, perhaps)
NO pasta machine so I rolled it out by hand. Definitely a version of forced labour, but probably because my dough was too hard.
Finally managed to stuff the pasta and make the ravioli. Goat cheese and sundried tomatoes, and goat cheese with pears. Great ! Experiment over - next time, use the pasta machine!View attachment 93480
View attachment 93481
View attachment 93483
Yeah. I've learnt the other way around. I always made it by hand, so had issues moving my recipe over to the pasta machine because it was too sticky and not dry enough. It's amazing how dry it has to be in order to work correctly on my pasta machine.

Made up some more pesto from the rest of the sheep's sorrel and warrigal greens I picked yesterday. This batch was made with normal garlic cloves, and I can tell. Also I blanched the warrigal greens (can't tell in the end product, but you could see the discoloration in the water, not quite a badly a blanching nettles but noticeable)...

So 8 tubs, each with 2 generous portions in them now in the freezer.

These are warrigal greens after blanching.

There's two 80g servings of pesto per pot and 25ml of olive oil to act as an air barrier (saves me sterilizing glass jars and lids). The oil gets poured off and used as a garlic oil.

Curious. Very curious! Your Warrigal greens are exactly the same as what´s known as "Spinach" in Venezuela. The leaves grow on a longish, thick stalk , and are (a) much smaller and (b) much thicker than European spinach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom