What did you cook or eat today (February 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_2586.JPG

Chicken & Hatch Green Chile Enchiladas

I guess the only thing that is reasonably priced there is local seafood? Do you grow your own herbs or have any kind of vegetable plants in pots on your porch?

Singapore doesn't have any fishing industry - just some small fish and shrimp farms. Most fish and seafood is imported and isn't cheap.

As for growing - I've tried, but I'm a horrible gardener and all my plants keep dying! I bought a lemon tree a couple of years ago for $90 because I thought 'why not? - unlimited quantities of lemons whenever a recipe calls for it!' but it shed all its leaves and is now just a 4 foot high straight stick with a few straggly empty branches. Total yield: 3 lemons (which were on it when I bought it - so they were $30 each). I do have one rosemary plant that resists my attempts to starve it of food and water though, and I use clippings from that when making lamb and stuff.

Last edited:
Singapore doesn't have any fishing industry - just some small fish and shrimp farms. Most fish and seafood is imported and isn't cheap.

As for growing - I've tried, but I'm a horrible gardener and all my plants keep dying! I bought a lemon tree a couple of years ago for $90 because I thought 'why not? - unlimited quantities of lemons whenever a recipe calls for it!' but it shed all its leaves and is now just a 4 foot high straight stick with a few straggly empty branches. Total yield: 3 lemons (which were on it when I bought it - so they were $30 each). I do have one rosemary plant that resists my attempts to starve it of food and water though, and I use clippings from that when making lamb and stuff.
Try repotting and pruning the lemon tree? Maybe it can be saved. At least the rosemary is still staying alive. So sad about the rest, bummer.

Fruit trees are high maintenance. Not difficult, but you have to know what to do, and when to do it.... and do it. I had a fantastic peach tree behind my last house. I got around 300 peaches from it every year -- and gave most of them to my friends and customers. I gave the guy who bought it specific written directions of what to do, and when to do it. He didn't want to be bothered, and the tree died.

BTW, if you are self employed, like I have been for the last 15 years, the best marketing you can do is give your customers food that you grew and/or cooked. I gave peaches to one customer who was a baker, she made peach pies, and I got thousands of dollars worth of business from her company. I've earned at least 20,000 bucks from one customer just by making their staff a big pot of true cajun gumbo. I did good work for them, but I made a "relationship" with them with food.

CD

Try repotting and pruning the lemon tree? Maybe it can be saved. At least the rosemary is still staying alive. So sad about the rest, bummer.

I have pruned it and it's been repotted once. Ah well. Lemons cost 80c downstairs.

We decided to have lunch at Brio today because I have been carrying around a gift card for years.

Started out with appys of a flatbread Margharita and beef carpaccio. The flatbread should have been called crackerbread but Craig said it was okay. The carpaccio is pictured below. The dark center is a red and green leaf lettuce salad, and the triangles are the same thing as the pizza crust, but actual crackers. They tasted much better as crispy crackers instead of a pizza crust that was a tiny bit soggy from the toppings. The carpaccio and the bread fresh from the oven in the center of the table were the best part of the meal. We've always loved their take on carpaccio and still do.
20230213_135441.jpg

Craig got spaghetti bolognase for his main. Again, he said it was okay. I ordered a small plate risotto with mushrooms and shrimp and got the below.
20230213_142021.jpg

Obviously not risotto and it had so much black pepper that it was spicy and was unpleasant to eat such that I took 2 small bites of the rice and pushed it away.

We have eaten at Brio previously and enjoyed it, but never at this location. I should have known there was going to be a problem because the waiter had to look at our menus when we ordered and we even had to point out the flatbread.

Also, Craig ordered a diet Coke and then I ordered a Coke, waiter said okay, and then I thought I heard him mumble something under his breath about Pepsi as he was writing down our orders. I stopped him and asked if they had Coke or Pepsi. I don't really care, but Craig does, so we ended up getting bottled mineral water.

He messed up our plates both times he brought them, giving me Craig's and him mine.

After he brought our main and came back to grate cheese on Craig's, he NEVER came back to check if our food was okay. He went to the other 2 tables he had besides us, but never even looked our way. Craig tried hand signaling him, then calling out to him twice, and finally 1 of the other 2 tables pointed out to him that we were trying to get our attention.

I ended up asking for manager because I was seriously ticked off by then. Told him all of the above. We ended up getting our whole meal comped even though I repeatedly told him multiple times we wanted to pay for the food we actually ate, just not for the risotto that wasn't. So, I still have the gift card to continue to carry around.

Fruit trees are high maintenance. Not difficult, but you have to know what to do, and when to do it.... and do it. I had a fantastic peach tree behind my last house. I got around 300 peaches from it every year -- and gave most of them to my friends and customers. I gave the guy who bought it specific written directions of what to do, and when to do it. He didn't want to be bothered, and the tree died.

BTW, if you are self employed, like I have been for the last 15 years, the best marketing you can do is give your customers food that you grew and/or cooked. I gave peaches to one customer who was a baker, she made peach pies, and I got thousands of dollars worth of business from her company. I've earned at least 20,000 bucks from one customer just by making their staff a big pot of true cajun gumbo. I did good work for them, but I made a "relationship" with them with food.

CD
That's so true people deal with people. My motto. I had 1 customer on the coast who's wife couldn't cook,and admitted it. He asked me to cook for him and his family. This was once a month when I was there. We all became great friends. Like your customer he spent tens of thousands with me.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom