What did you cook or eat today (January 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just made club sammys for the painters. It's morning tea here. I will heat sausage rolls for their lunch. There's 4 here today.

Russ

That's nice of you, and not really the norm around here any more, sadly.

When I was a kid, we lived on a little one-lane rural back road (like a single-track road in the UK), and our driveway was between two little WPA bridges.

There would be workmen there a few times a year, either doing bridge work, or trimming trees, or working on the power lines.

If my mom saw them, she'd always make them lunch. She'd fry up burgers, or heat up cold fried chicken from the night before, or make pork chop sandwiches, whatever she had.

She'd start in, and before too long, it was a feast: little of this, little of that, half a layer cake, big jug of iced tea, jar of pickles, you name it.

She'd do everything up, wrap it in tinfoil and plastic wrap, wax paper, whatever, her regular dishes, glasses, flatware, pile it all in a laundry basket, and make me mule it down to them: "Mom says just a little something for working so hard."

Those fellows learned in a hurry to get assigned to the truck that was going out on my folks' road that day!

I still try to do the same. When we had the landscapers here last, even though they did crap work, I filled a cooler with all kinds of soft drinks and put out a big basket of snacks.
It's heartening to read your post. I am someone that fed contractors who were on my property. I will actually feed anyone but everyone I know thinks it's weird (or even crazy). Now, I know that I'm not alone. ;-)

I would never have looked in the healthy eats subforum. Every other site I'm on has the breakfast thread in the same subforum as the dinner thread, since they are basically the same thing, just different mealtimes.
My caregiver teased me just this morning because I wanted a grilled cheese for breakfast. She claims that it is food for lunch. I'm pretty sure my tummy doesn't care what time it is. I'm usually up 5-6 times per night (pain and PTSD) so it's not bizarre to have something that isn't in the "right" category for the time of day. ;-)

Vegetable paella today.
pae_g.png

Recipe

They're probably not as big as the ones you're used to. These are the Green Ormer, Haliotis Tuberculata.

I had 18 today and 4 Lady Crabs (Velvet Swimming Crabs)

I am profoundly envious, as envious as I am of murphyscreek and his Slipper Lobsters.

It's heartening to read your post. I am someone that fed contractors who were on my property. I will actually feed anyone but everyone I know thinks it's weird (or even crazy). Now, I know that I'm not alone. ;-)
My mom is hilarious that way. If someone is in the house, they get fed.

DirecTV guy came out...got fed. Insurance claim adjuster came out...got fed. When Dad was getting over his heart surgery, he had a nurse come out three times a week to check on him...he got fed. Every time. And I don't mean a bologna sandwich, I mean a pork chop and mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans with ham and biscuits and peach pie and iced tea and coffee. Every time. :laugh:

I used up my last Garlic Sausage and Bread Rolls for Garlic Sausage Sandwiches. I might yet have a Salad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom