What did you cook or eat today (January 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dug out a portion of bhuna gosht from the freezer which I cooked and ate a portion of a few months ago (#745). Contrary to my comments at that time, freezing has brought out flavour which I don't remember being there at the time. I do remember it being quite mild so I added a couple of fresh red chillis as garnish and served it with yellow aromatic Jasmine rice.

I'll bet your voice is just wonderful. Never record and listen to yourself, though. It never sounds right on playback.

I prefer to think that Lucy could pronounce her Rs if she wanted; she just chooses not to. Jonathan Ross, OTOH, is an idiot, though. :laugh:
Having to hear myself sing on tape was definitely the worst part of singing classes, but it was worth it. I can now bear it without being embarrased, mainly because other people like it. But it remains strange and often cringeworthy to hear yourself speak or sing.

Too much food this week.

A poke sort of bowl without rice. Just mixed leaves and other salad things with a piece of salmon & some “crab” seafood salad and some garlic chilli prawns.

That was my brunch one day this week.

Then this the following day.

Sour dough - one with egg & ham, one with “crab” seafood salad, last one with toum & tomato.

Lastly, we have this evenings meal. We were supposed to have Korean bbq but nothing was going according to plan so I threw together a burgul salad, hummus & beef kofta for the four of us. We have a diabetic special needs house guest so lowish carbs.

Today I made two quiches: the first, a version of quiche lorraine (Bacon & Cheddar) for the fussy buggers here who don´t like onions, or vegetables of any kind. For the rest of us humans, leek, shallots and mixed peppers. Served with a green salad and tiny yellow tomatoes.
Who doesn't like onions or other vegetables in the forum? I can't even imagine.

Who doesn't like onions or other vegetables in the forum? I can't even imagine.
My son (who´s NOT on here) is brilliant with the grill: tomahawks, steaks, chops - you name it. However, with vegetables...
I made a pasta with mascarpone and roasted cherry tomatoes the other day. The cherry tomatoes were picked out and set aside:yuck::yuck:

My son (who´s NOT on here) is brilliant with the grill: tomahawks, steaks, chops - you name it. However, with vegetables...
I made a pasta with mascarpone and roasted cherry tomatoes the other day. The cherry tomatoes were picked out and set aside:yuck::yuck:
That would drive me crazy!

Some years ago when my mum was still alive, I took mum on a vacation with my niece and her baby (and one of my sisters--not my niece's mother). We were in blueberry country (Northeast USA) in late summer and I bought a ton of fresh blueberries and made blueberry pancakes. My niece played with her food and picked all the blueberries out of the pancakes, in fact, she carefully dissected the pancakes so that any blue part was scraped away! I asked her why she didn't just tell me beforehand that she didn't like blueberries and I could have added some other types of berries. She said she didn't like any berries. I asked her why she just didn't let me know before I made them, and she said she didn't want to be any trouble. I explained that I make the batter first and add the berries just before cooking the pancakes and it's quite easy to just make plain ones first.

Well as the week went on, it turned out she didn't like vegetables either, as those would be sitting on the side of the plate as well after the meal was over. I explained to her that she was an adult (she was in her late 30s) and I didn't expect her to eat things she didn't like, but food costs money and I would be a lot happier if she would just tell me that she didn't like certain things when she saw me cooking them and I wouldn't put them on her plate, and the rest of us would happily eat them. She told me I was more than welcome to take what she left on her plate, and I had to explain to her that I have extreme OCD and would never eat off anyone's plate (not even my DH).

Sigh. Some people.

That would drive me crazy!
One side of my wife's family is onion-phobic, and I'll admit, it takes a lot of the joy out of cooking things for them, because all I can think is, "That'd be a lot better if it had onions in it."

One of my brothers also hates onions. Won't go near them.

I also know someone on another (non-cooking) forum who hates onions, and if I post anything with onions, she always makes a smartazz comment as to how I "ruined" whatever it was I posted, to the point that I don't post much of my food there any longer, because most of what I make has onion in it. :laugh:

One side of my wife's family is onion-phobic, and I'll admit, it takes a lot of the joy out of cooking things for them, because all I can think is, "That'd be a lot better if it had onions in it."

One of my brothers also hates onions. Won't go near them.

I also know someone on another (non-cooking) forum who hates onions, and if I post anything with onions, she always makes a smartazz comment as to how I "ruined" whatever it was I posted, to the point that I don't post much of my food there any longer, because most of what I make has onion in it. :laugh:
Yeah, I was specifically referencing CB forum members.

I too have family members who don't like onions (MIL and FIL, and future son-in-law). Not allergic, they just don't like the taste/texture. I have on more than one occasion sneakily put onions in something and they never noticed. Sometimes soup absolutely must have onions, and especially trinity/mirepoix type recipes cannot do without it. And some of my dips have onion in them. I just chop them up into very fine pieces if it's something I am serving to them and they always compliment me on how great it was. So...

Yeah, I was specifically referencing CB forum members.

I too have family members who don't like onions (MIL and FIL, and future son-in-law). Not allergic, they just don't like the taste/texture. I have on more than one occasion sneakily put onions in something and they never noticed. Sometimes soup absolutely must have onions, and especially trinity/mirepoix type recipes cannot do without it. And some of my dips have onion in them. I just chop them up into very fine pieces if it's something I am serving to them and they always compliment me on how great it was. So...
My husband said he didn't like onions, until he met me. Turns out he doesn't like raw onions, but never had them caramalized or sauteed. He loves them now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom