What did you cook or eat today (January 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My oldest put ketchup on everything when he was little. Ketchup on eggs, ketchup on carrots (raw), etc. It was hard to watch. Thankfully his sisters didn't follow his path, it would have been too heart-wrenching.

I have a friend who puts ketchup on her steak, no matter how good a steak or how well marinated/seasoned it is. First time we grilled out and I served some prime bone-in ribeyes, I marinated them in a wonderful soy and garlic based marinade. When we sat down to eat, she looked at me and said, "Do you have any ketchup?" I about lost my mind, LOL. I asked her to please taste it beforehand and if she still needed ketchup I did indeed have some. She took a bite and said, "Oh this is wonderful! May I please have some ketchup now?"
I'm rarely a snob about such things, but would have to draw the line there and make sure there was none in the house that evening.

Hi there, am usually too lazy 🙂....but here it is as I made them. As I say in the recipe, you could certainly use a bit more sugar than I did if desired. For me they're fine though.

Recipe & Video - Jam Drops Recipe

Edit: I should reiterate it's important to let these cool right down otherwise the hot jam can burn the crap out of your mouth.
I'm going to make these as soon as I feel better (covid).

Pan-seared Mahi Mahi served over pasta with red bell pepper, tomato, mushroom, shallot, and asparagus. I tossed the pasta and veggies in a white wine, lemon, garlic and cream sauce with parmesan cheese, parsley, basil, butter and ground pepper. Brioche roll. Really good!

I have a pot of "authentic" Texas Red simmering in a cast iron Dutch oven on the stove. It will need at least two hours to simmer properly. I'll eat it tomorrow (chili is always better the next day, IMO). This is the original Texas chili invented in South Texas. No tomatoes and no beans in the chili. Just chilis, and beef, of course. I'll bake some cornbread to go with it tomorrow.

This is something I've been wanting to make for years. I will keep you updated.

CD

I'm rarely a snob about such things, but would have to draw the line there and make sure there was none in the house that evening.
I didn't know until then! But yes you're right. I think we didn't have steaks with them at our house again, lol!

Pan-seared Mahi Mahi served over pasta with red bell pepper, tomato, mushroom, shallot, and asparagus. I tossed the pasta and veggies in a white wine, lemon, garlic and cream sauce with parmesan cheese, parsley, basil, butter and ground pepper. Brioche roll. Really good!
View attachment 79651
That's some great cooking while you're ill!

I have a pot of "authentic" Texas Red simmering in a cast iron Dutch oven on the stove. It will need at least two hours to simmer properly. I'll eat it tomorrow (chili is always better the next day, IMO). This is the original Texas chili invented in South Texas. No tomatoes and no beans in the chili. Just chilis, and beef, of course. I'll bake some cornbread to go with it tomorrow.

CD

Update: The chili is done, and it is good. I tasted the "sauce" when I first started the simmer, and it was very hot, but didn't taste very good. It was rather bitter. But, my experience with low and slow cooking told me to let it ride, and judge it when it is done. It took three hours for the beef (chuck) to get fork tender. When I tasted it at that point, it was WAY better. Bitterness... gone. Flavor of the chilis, much, much better. By flavor, I don't mean heat. The heat mellowed out over the long cook, but was still there. Instead of burn your mouth heat, it was make your head sweat heat, which is what I like. But, the flavor of the chilis was very pronounced. I can now see why this chili doesn't need tomatoes. The flavor of the chilis was enough.

I'll take pictures later, and post the recipe and more comments. But, I'm glad I finally cooked this. It is a little bit of history, that happens to taste good.

CD

CD
wonderful. Sounds like a real classic.

and as I promised some photos when I transfer to the laptop, here they are...I do have time now, my teaching has been transferred online(covid) since Friday, so I have not travelled yesterday.

plus since this morning my daughter has tested positive on a home test (covid). apparently there was a pupil in her class with fever yesterday...I have asked for a testing term from our GP doc. we are not leaving home for the next 10 days, except for the testing, whenever it will be.

My boyfriend's delicious burgers.

Mylovely cauliflower creme soup.

It was quite cold, -6c in the mornings and evenings, and a warm bowl of soup is just perfect.

Meat in sauce over gnocchi and pickled beet.

All these dishes were cooked a while ago, I do not remember the exact days, and that is ok.:smug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom