What did you cook or eat today (January 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another of the "what's in the fridge or drawer that I can make something with? " meals.

20230102_181322.jpg

The pesto is home-made as well.

On the bright side, it's a healthy dose of vegetables: 1 portion of sprouts, 1 portion of green pepper, 1 portion of carrots,1 portion of steamed brocollini (some home grown), 1 portion of sweet potato to add to the portion of grapefruit juice this morning. Lunch didn't really add much in the way of veg, but we had 2 kiwi fruit during the day (another portion) and I know that I had at least 2 half portions of strawberries and raspberries from the veg plot this morning whilst I was harvesting the berries, so that's 8 portions today which isn't too bad.

DH & I had lunch with my Mother at one of two restaurants in her Senior Living Community ...
IMG_2427.JPG

Mom's Bay Shrimp Cobb Salad (half portion)
IMG_2428.JPG

DH's Black & Bleu Steak Salad (well done meat, but he's okay with that)

IMG_2429.JPG

My bowl of Chili with Cornbread

IMG_2430.JPG

Dessert is included, so Mom had her usual Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream and DH said "I'll have what she's having" ... me, I went for a Chocolate Mousse Tart from the pastry case ...
IMG_2432.JPG

YUM!!!
Including a beverage <edit - AND dessert>, it only cost $10.50 each for DH and I, Mom's was $4.50 !!!

Last edited:
And speaking of Bread & Butter ...

IMG_E2434.JPG

I wanted just a little something for supper this evening. I had the last of my Split Pea & Ham Hock Soup left, it went along with a piece of toasted Boudin Sourdough Bread that Mrs. Next-Door-Neighbor brought back, MMM! Loads of Butter!

IMG_2433.JPG

DH requested the last Costco Croissant heated and filled with Ham, Swiss and sliced Hot Cherry Peppers.
Maybe some Ice Cream later, but maybe not.

Today was one of those days. Hot, sweaty and didn't go to plan.

The plan was a new tension bar for the fan belt on hubby's vehicle. That meant 2 vehicles going into town, then us going shopping for the morning and a weekly food shop, pick up a repaired vehicle and home.

All of that meant lunch ended up being eaten out. Our usual place wasn't keen (it closed over Christmas and New Year and doesn't reopen until 7th January), so we had to find somewhere new. A quick check on Happy Cow, and we found a place we've had drinks from previously happened to be a vegan food restaurant that we hadn't realised...

So I had a roasted Philly Cheesesteak sandwich and a raw berry slice.

20230103_115348.jpg
20230103_114112.jpg

Sadly the vehicle came home unrepaired because they had ordered the wrong part, but I did manage to change the network my phone is on and buy some Bluetooth headphones and the weekly shop.

From the depths of the freezer, some of last summers cold soups. It was (emphasis on was) too hot to eat anything hot. It dropped from 31°C to 15°C inside 2 hours, and now we can sleep if the storms don't wake us. Such is summer in Australia.

20230103_175244.jpg

PS, Hubby did the basil leaves and presentation and sent me back to the sofa to collect my phone to photo because I didn't take it with me to the table! :laugh:

From the depths of the freezer, some of last summers cold soups. It was (emphasis on was) too hot to eat anything hot. It dropped from 31°C to 15°C inside 2 hours, and now we can sleep if the storms don't wake us. Such is summer in Australia.

View attachment 94574

PS, Hubby did the basil leaves and presentation and sent me back to the sofa to collect my phone to photo because I didn't take it with me to the table! :laugh:
Looks fabulous!

75FC2FD8-A9D4-4FE1-9075-4636A41C9A96.jpeg

As the saying goes, when life gives you bananas, make banana bread. Or something like that. I was about to throw these out, when I decided to put them to work:

1DC954B7-AD32-4FA7-B7B4-33342FE26BD3.jpeg

I made it with hazelnuts and chopped up dates. It’s not super sweet, but it does taste good with a cup of coffee. I will be posting this later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom