What did you cook or eat today (July 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks lovely! Slow cooked lamb?
Yes, neck fillet vac packed with a little olive oil, cinnamon and garlic powder. Sous vide for 4 hours @56.5 deg C, then browned off. Meat juices whisked up with an egg and some greek yoghurt, everything combined in an earthenware dish and baked for half an hour. It would also work with leftover roast lamb.

Tabbouleh salad.jpg

Tabbouleh salad - tabbouleh leftover from yesterday with extra tomatoes, cucumber and feta cheese, sprinkled with sumac and lemon juice. A quick and easy lunch

View attachment 17749
Tabbouleh salad - tabbouleh leftover from yesterday with extra tomatoes, cucumber and feta cheese, sprinkled with sumac and lemon juice. A quick and easy lunch

I totally concur - quick and easy (and healthy and cheap). Had you thought of adding chopped dates to this? I'm 'playing' with bulghur and dates at the moment; and it seems that you need more dates than you might imagine.

I totally concur - quick and easy (and healthy and cheap). Had you thought of adding chopped dates to this? I'm 'playing' with bulghur and dates at the moment; and it seems that you need more dates than you might imagine.
This sounds interesting: the sweetness of the dates would change the different flavor, but I think it would be in a good way.

I've made tabbouleh many times (and, in fact, just writing about it is making me want to pick up what I need on the way home today so I can make more). One day, I made some for my gluten-intolerant brother, so I removed the bulgar wheat. It tasted just as good to me, so now this is now how I make it. Typically, I use these proportions:

2 bunches parsley
1 bunch mint
1 tomato
1/2 small onion
3 tablespoons lemon juice
salt to taste

Many people will add olive oil (I would have used the same proportion of lemon juice), but I've excluded that to keep the calories down. Again, I don't miss it. You'll note that there's a massive amount of mint compared to most tabbouleh recipes. That's entirely intentional. :)

This sounds interesting: the sweetness of the dates would change the different flavor, but I think it would be in a good way.

I've made tabbouleh many times (and, in fact, just writing about it is making me want to pick up what I need on the way home today so I can make more). One day, I made some for my gluten-intolerant brother, so I removed the bulgar wheat. It tasted just as good to me, so now this is now how I make it. Typically, I use these proportions:

2 bunches parsley
1 bunch mint
1 tomato
1/2 small onion
salt to taste

Many people will add olive oil (I would have used the same proportion of lemon juice), but I've excluded that to keep the calories down. Again, I don't miss it. You'll note that there's a massive amount of mint compared to most tabbouleh recipes. That's entirely intentional. :)

Nice idea. At first sight, it seemed almost a blasphemy to omit both the bulghur and the olive oil, but I can see where you went with it.

You used a small onion rather than scallions? You served it with/on (for example) lettuce leaves?

And is it possible to have too much fresh mint?

Nice idea. At first sight, it seemed almost a blasphemy to omit both the bulghur and the olive oil, but I can see where you went with it.

You used a small onion rather than scallions? You served it with/on (for example) lettuce leaves?
I have always used red onion, but I like the idea of scallions a lot. I will try it next time! I generally just have the tabbouleh by itself, as a side to accompany middle eastern food.

And is it possible to have too much fresh mint?

No, it isn't! :) I think of mint in the same way as I do basil: I am happy to find out how far I can go to the edge of overdoing it. So far, I haven't reached that point with either.

Good idea - I have a packet of dates that need using up. I've previously used chopped apricots and even dried cherries. Flaked almonds are a nice addition too, giving it a bit of crunch.

2 bunches parsley
1 bunch mint
1 tomato
1/2 small onion
salt to taste

Agreed on the mint! I use only mint, no parsley.

We were supposed to have Shanghai lion's head meatballs last night, but the ground pork I took from the freezer to thaw ended up smelling funky so it got tossed. We'll try that again tonight. Craig ended up eating some leftovers and we both had strawberry and rhubarb crumble with vanilla ice cream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom