What did you cook or eat today (June 2019)?

image.jpg
Leg of lamb starting to roast.
Taken with I pad. Not best quality.

Russ

The forum keeps changing to shootaki, thus, the hyphen.

Its the auto correction which picks up 'naughty' words! The alternative spelling is shiitake, (with two 'ii's) which is what I always use now and doesn't get changed. Shiitake seems to be the most usual spelling anyway.

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 08.47.54.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 08.51.12.png

"Shiitake" is the spelling used here.

Earl grey tea with square crumpets with Vegemite. Wife couldn't find round ones. I really like the round ones. Not so much the square ones.

Russ

I just bought half a dozen pikelets on Friday. They are round. I can't say I've ever seen a square one.

pikelets-s.jpg

Chicken with Sherry Sauce, Hamlyn all Colour Cookbook.
Quite yummy. Even though cream is used in the recipe it's not insanely high in calories. 524 calories per portion.

DSC_0091.jpg

Mushroom Wheel, Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook.
Cooked this too long. Set the timer, popped in to the garden to potter for a few minutes and the few minutes turned into rather too many minutes.
I personally thought it was odd to call this 'mushroom wheel' as although there were mushrooms in there they aren't visible.
The meat 'spokes' are luncheon meat, I used Spam spam spam spam spam spam, wonderful spam! (sorry for the gratuitous Python reference)

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
testing - shiitake to see if I can get it to stay as it should!

I just bought half a dozen pikelets on Friday. They are round. I can't say I've ever seen a square one.
There is no technical reason (usless the ingredients are different that is) that square ones would taste different, it is simply a packaging for transportation issue. Pikelets/curmpets are dirt cheap, they are packaged in cellophane that splits easily. Round ones squash easily and distort and there would be much wastage. Go square and you have something that will not get as badly damaged in transportation and thus you make more money from less loss to a product that can not exactly make much profit. Right now a packet of crumpets is selling for AUD $3 for 8 I think are in the packet!

Back
Top Bottom