What did you cook or eat today (June 2019)?

Lunch out on Saturday. Black bean and rice Pattie with chips.

20190622_124957.jpg

It sadly lacked flavour and because hubby forgot to say no salt, the chips were too salty for me. :cry

What is 'bean jar'?
We've had this convo before.

It's one of those peasant dishes where a filling, wholesome meal is made out of cheap ingredients. Sort of in the Boston Baked Beans, Cassoulet manner.
It is a Channel Islands dish comprised of dried beans soaked for best part of a day, then put into your bean jar, basically a casserole dish, with onion, bayleaf pork trotter (I use a hock because ewwww.) And or shin, thyme, bouquet garni stuck in a low oven for 6 to 12 hours and then served with crusty bread and butter.

In days gone by the local bakers would put peoples bean jars in their ovens after the evening bake and they would cook in the residual heat. The bean jar would be collected the next day and the cooking finished off.

Every house has their own version of the recipe which has been handed down generation after generation.

It's known for being 'windy' so on hearing that a colleague has had bean jar it's de rigueur to make jokes about opening windows etc.

It's normally a winter dish but I just fancied some.

We've had this convo before.

It's one of those peasant dishes where a filling, wholesome meal is made out of cheap ingredients. Sort of in the Boston Baked Beans, Cassoulet manner.
It is a Channel Islands dish comprised of dried beans soaked for best part of a day, then put into your bean jar, basically a casserole dish, with onion, bayleaf pork trotter (I use a hock because ewwww.) And or shin, thyme, bouquet garni stuck in a low oven for 6 to 12 hours and then served with crusty bread and butter.

In days gone by the local bakers would put peoples bean jars in their ovens after the evening bake and they would cook in the residual heat. The bean jar would be collected the next day and the cooking finished off.

Every house has their own version of the recipe which has been handed down generation after generation.

It's known for being 'windy' so on hearing that a colleague has had bean jar it's de rigueur to make jokes about opening windows etc.

It's normally a winter dish but I just fancied some.

@morning glory

Bearing this in mind, I know we did (I think) a page on bean jar and also a page on ormers not long after I first joined, would it be worth doing a thread on regional/country cooking (or do we have one already?)

It need not necessarily be restricted to our own areas, for instance I have a recipe book on Algarve Cookery.

From Guernsey I could add Beanjar, Guernsey Gâche, Gâche Melee, ormers, conger soup, Guernsey biscuits (which aren't really biscuits), spider crab, Jersey wonders.

Back
Top Bottom