What did you cook or eat today (June 2019)?

I've roasted carrots before but only whole or in large chunks - even then they shrivel a bit. I think because they are cut small they dried out before they baked through. Just guessing...

Yes right, I'm afraid I cut them too small and with the heat of the oven (I didn't pay too much attention to it today) they got dehydrated in the oven ..

@MypinchofItaly - see here before and after of a selection of root veg including carrots that I cooked a while ago - you can see how the carrots (and other veg) shrink when when in large chunks:

fullsizeoutput_1ba6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1ba7.jpeg

They look a bit like Yorkshire puddings! What is in them?

Eggs, milk, salt, flour, black pepper, gruyere. They don't have meat drippings or animal fat like Yorkshire puddings. I used cooking spray for these, but you can use butter. I'll post the recipe once I get it typed as somebody asked for it on another forum.

Yes right, I'm afraid I cut them too small and with the heat of the oven (I didn't pay too much attention to it today) they got dehydrated in the oven ..

Yes, they are cut too small.

When I roast carrots or parsnips, even potatoes, I always steam them some to partially cook them, then finish in the oven. You still get the lovely roasted flavor, but they don't dry out and shrink as much since they don't have to cook as long.

I just put together a French toast casserole for breakfast tomorrow. It has pecans, shaved unsweetened chocolate and bourbon besides all the usuals for French toast. I used up leftover potato bread sandwich and hot dog rolls.

Back
Top Bottom