What did you cook or eat today (June 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is it comes from Coney Island, which was/is famous for its chili sauce-topped hot dogs, so much so that a chili sauce-topped hot dog is frequently referred to as a coney dog/coney, whether you're anywhere near Coney Island.

Yes, it does come from Coney Island in NYC. A true "Coney Island Dog" (as I know them) uses a bun that is not cut all the way, forming something like a canoe/boat for the dog, which is shorter than the bun. You pile chili on top, and optional cheese, diced onion, and mustard. But, "Coney" is often used as a name for any chili dog.

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 9.46.10 PM.png

CD

Last edited:
I was just reading articles about it before you posted that. Turns out that there was a large population of wild rabbits on the island and it's believed the Dutch settlers gave it the name from the Dutch word for rabbit (konijn).

Edited to add that I had forgotten part of NYC was originally called "New Amsterdam" (part of Manhattan).

Anyone watch the movie Gangs of New York with Leonardo DiCaprio and Daniel Day Lewis?

I went to NYC once, only to Manhattan. I took my mom and my sister, it was my mom's last trip before she died and she had always wanted to see the statue of liberty, so we did. And the Museum of Natural History, Central Park, and Grand Central Station...but we didn't have enough time to visit the Empire State Building.

You need more than one trip to NYC to take it all in. I've been at least 20 times, and still haven't seen it all. The view from the Empire State building observation deck is amazing.

I've only stayed in Manhattan a few times. I usually stay in Brooklyn.

Great food city. Not just the Michelin starred places, but the cheap hole-in-the-wall places.

CD

💙👍😎
Recently I heard a Croatian tennis player would play with Federer? Forgot who it was. Čilić?

As you also probably see newspaper stands and shops are flooded with Croatian national cheer accessories, it is fun to notice.
June 13th is my 2nd vacc shot.
Will think of some healthy snack variants and stream in to the match.
It is so relaxing.
I'm really not a big tennis fan but my wife is. I like to watch Novak but the playboy Goran was a fav. Great on the vacc shots. Today is the first day of diet.

I'm really not a big tennis fan but my wife is. I like to watch Novak but the playboy Goran was a fav. Great on the vacc shots. Today is the first day of diet.
Yep,Novak is great. My ex husband is a big fan.
You will manage the diet.
Recently I watched a Keto breakfasts video,that are not only eggs and bacon.
Scouting for new ideas,as I got fed up with eggs and cheese, but it is still working.
Forgot to buy rye crisps, thin crisp to play as bread...but will do.
Moussaka looking great.

You women and your nails, lol. But I guess you like to look good. Us blokes have got it easy.

Russ
It looks way nicer with than without manicure, for sure. And itis feminine. Which I like. I used to go plain fir a long time, then nail polishes, but the nail p remover is not good for my nails. The classic manicure is too painful for me, so I almost never do it.
Freedom to everyone, keep it as you like it.😊
Happy with the nail wraps, as they are easy,quick and affordable. Plus they are fun. Keeping my spirit up.😊

Last edited:
I made comfort food tonight, recipe from an old friend who passed away 6 years ago. She called it
Kai Si Ming.
Beef mince and onion browned off, 2 sachets chicken noodle soup, soy sauce, brown sugar, curry powder ( store ) . Mixed veges,water and cabbage. Really yummy in a sammich within thick butter, the juices run down your arms,lol.
If my kids knew they would be here in a flash.

Russ

Oh, about food. I had a thick, well marbled NY Strip steak. Sous vide, then seared with butter in a cast iron pan. Leftover spicy potato salad on the side.

CD

Edit: I took a picture, but was too full of beef to do anything with it -- or anything, period.

I forgot to mention the sautéed onions. Really sweet.

NYS-6-21-001.jpg

For those of you thinking about trying sous vide, notice how the medium rare goes almost 100 percent from edge to edge. That small band of brown is from the sear. which was about 1 minute per side (every side) in a cast iron pan over high heat.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom