What did you cook or eat today (June 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicken curry
1623760357300.png

Cheesesteak sandwiches for lunch today. I started with top round, which I trimmed of fat and then froze to facilitate easy slicing. I used the same meat slicer I shared about 2 years ago: it’s missing certain safety features, but it still slices.

Then, the meat took a bath overnight in a blend of Worcestershire, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, and crushed garlic. This not only imparted flavor, but also tenderized the meat.

I would have preferred a better bun, but toasted burger buns did the job.

Earl grey tea and thinking on dinner later, I may be freezer diving shortly. Chicken Kiev last night was disappointing, wife got from butchers section at supermarket, they were store made. And nowhere as good as the frozen ones we get. I would have thought store made would be better but they weren't. Back to buying frozen again.

Russ

Earl grey tea and thinking on dinner later, I may be freezer diving shortly. Chicken Kiev last night was disappointing, wife got from butchers section at supermarket, they were store made. And nowhere as good as the frozen ones we get. I would have thought store made would be better but they weren't. Back to buying frozen again.

Russ
I bought some chicken cordon bleu from the butcher once and they used Italian seasoned (oregano, basil) breadcrumbs. They were awful. I prefer frozen anyday.

My husband makes some pretty great chicken cordon bleu, I would imagine that he could pull of chicken kiev. I'll drop some off next time I drive past your house :laugh:

I bought some chicken cordon bleu from the butcher once and they used Italian seasoned (oregano, basil) breadcrumbs. They were awful. I prefer frozen anyday.

My husband makes some pretty great chicken cordon bleu, I would imagine that he could pull of chicken kiev. I'll drop some off next time I drive past your house :laugh:

Lol, I never thought of the crumbed coating at all, the cheese had all come out as well and not contained in it like the frozen ones. It really was disappointing. :(

Russ

Lol, I never thought of the crumbed coating at all, the cheese had all come out as well and not contained in it like the frozen ones. It really was disappointing. :(

Russ
The way my husband does it: after he pounds and rolls out the chicken breast into thin pieces, then tightly rolls up the ingredients inside of the chicken piece, he takes plastic wrap and (individually) tightly wraps it around the finished piece, twirling the ends of the plastic to form a tight seal. He puts them all into the refrigerator to set. The ones that we are not going to immediately eat go into the freezer. The ones we are going to eat that night set up in the frig for at least 30 minutes before being breaded with a simple egg wash and panko crumbs.

The butcher really screwed yours up, maybe a new product offering or new hire who didn't know what they were doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom