What did you cook or eat today (June 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moussaka is ready to bake. I forgot how much work and time are involved when making this. And, my palms are itching like he// now even though I used soap and hot water after dealing with the eggplant.

I also got marinara sauce made for a pasta bake for tomorrow or Friday dinner. I'll finish that up in a bit after I rest a while.

Chicken, asparagus and avocado salad with kefir/yuzu mustard dressing, red palm oil (its the yellow stuff) drizzled and poppy seeds:

Moussaka is ready to bake. I forgot how much work and time are involved when making this. And, my palms are itching like he// now even though I used soap and hot water after dealing with the eggplant.

I also got marinara sauce made for a pasta bake for tomorrow or Friday dinner. I'll finish that up in a bit after I rest a while.
Get some food prep gloves like the people at the deli at the grocery store wear when preparing food. I have several boxes of them, I like using them when I am handling meat in particular. I also use them when I make salads to keep my hands from drying out from washing and cutting all the veggies.

I am curious, eggplant bothers your skin when you handle it but not when you eat it?

I am curious, eggplant bothers your skin when you handle it but not when you eat it?

It's something in the peel. And it bothers me if I eat the peel, but not the flesh.

Pumpkin flesh and peel. Skin itch/rash and other issues. One of the reasons I very, very rarely eat pumpkin anything. My DD has a problem with pumpkin too. Don't know about eggplant because she won't eat it.

Can't eat mango, except for honey mango for some reason, because mouth and lips go numb and tingly, even with small amounts. I have to ask if a restaurant has a house salad dressing because I've learned the hard way that a lot of places in S Florida use mango. Mango pollen causes me to itch like crazy. Found that out when we had rented a home short term that had a mango tree in the backyard and I would go out on the porch barefoot.

It's something in the peel. And it bothers me if I eat the peel, but not the flesh.

Pumpkin flesh and peel. Skin itch/rash and other issues. One of the reasons I very, very rarely eat pumpkin anything. My DD has a problem with pumpkin too. Don't know about eggplant because she won't eat it.

Can't eat mango, except for honey mango for some reason, because mouth and lips go numb and tingly, even with small amounts. I have to ask if a restaurant has a house salad dressing because I've learned the hard way that a lot of places in S Florida use mango. Mango pollen causes me to itch like crazy. Found that out when we had rented a home short term that had a mango tree in the backyard and I would go out on the porch barefoot.
Damn, that really rules out a lot of food, doesn't it? Guess you need to keep Benedryl handy, huh. Or does it ever get so bad you need an epi-pen? That would really stink if you actually like those foods that you are allergic to. I don't have any problem with food allergies, but definitely I don't like eggplant or pumpkin. Mango I like but not in salad dressing or chutney (in fact I don't like any kind of chutney).

Damn, that really rules out a lot of food, doesn't it? Guess you need to keep Benedryl handy, huh. Or does it ever get so bad you need an epi-pen? That would really stink if you actually like those foods that you are allergic to. I don't have any problem with food allergies, but definitely I don't like eggplant or pumpkin. Mango I like but not in salad dressing or chutney (in fact I don't like any kind of chutney).
Have to keep an epi-pen for bee/wasp stings. Have a lot of antibiotic allergies too.

I'm with you on allergies, I get a bit of dermatitis/excema which has passed onto two of my grandkids. Manageable but annoying at the same time.

Russ

Started with a simple salad dressed in homemade tomato vinaigrette (my favorite dressing):

Then I made some herbed crepes (dill) and filled those with gruyere and ham, then topped with an egg:

Mine had to sit a bit while I put my wife's together, so her yolk was a little runnier, mine was a little jammier:

Today's meal was a repeat of a big layered salad, I had made some time ago - today, did again.

full.jpg

I had been out this morning, to the VA for an appointment, and did a small grocery run and a trip to the bank to cash in some refund checks from the insurance company. I have some challenge recipes that are ready to go now, but, not today. I just don't have the energy to put toward them.

The salad is the thing today.

Last edited:
Today's meal was a repeat of a big layered salad, I had made some time ago - today, did again.

View attachment 65490

I had been out this morning, to the VA for an appointment, and did a small grocery run and a trip to the back to cash in some refund checks from the insurance company. I have some challenge recipes that are ready to go now, but, not today. I just don't have the energy to put toward them.

The salad is the thing today.
That looks good, pretty good sized salad! You can eat, that's for sure. I am glad you have a good appetite.

My dad has the same problem with mangos. He can eat the meat of the mango, but can't touch the skin. He had two mango trees in the backyard in Puerto Rico, and had to get clever to pick the mangos, and then my mom had to peel them for them to eat.

I use the blue nitrile medical gloves when messing with HOT peppers. They fit snug, so they are like a "second skin."

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom