What did you cook or eat today (June 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My meal for today was deep fried soft shell blue crab, butterfly shrimp, french fries and onion rings.

full.jpg

I had plenty of malt vinegar to use on this meal, this time.

full.jpg

I haven't had deep fried butterfly shrimp in some time, so this was very enjoyable.

My first attempt at Sous Vide. Baby Brother has a Sous Vide heater/circulator. He is a big fan of Sous Vide. G saw an add for an Instant Pot with a Sous Vide setting on sale. Of course he bought one.
It is a multi functional machine. I love to braise chicken thighs so I tried pressure cooking chicken thighs. The depth of flavor was missing. It did make a nice chicken soup. The next challenge was to use the Sous Vide function.
I defrosted a wild pig shoulder roast. It was not a neat roast shape because G makes a point of removing all tendons and silver skin. I seasoned the meat inside and out with a spice rub mixed with Dijon. Tied the meat into roast shape and marinated in red wine and mirepoix over night. I drained off the marinade leaving the mirepoix clinging to the roast, vacuum sealed, heated the water bath to 316 degrees F. Submerged the bag in the water and cooked for 24 hours. Took the roast out of the bag. Patted dry and seared all sides in a cast iron skillet. Made a gravy from the bag drippings. OMG! Fork tender. No gamy taste. My next Sous Vide will be a venison roast.

Wow, 316F is a high temperature for sous vide. I don't think I've ever gone over 200F. But, I guess it worked quite well. :okay:

CD

My first attempt at Sous Vide. Baby Brother has a Sous Vide heater/circulator. He is a big fan of Sous Vide. G saw an add for an Instant Pot with a Sous Vide setting on sale. Of course he bought one.
It is a multi functional machine. I love to braise chicken thighs so I tried pressure cooking chicken thighs. The depth of flavor was missing. It did make a nice chicken soup. The next challenge was to use the Sous Vide function.
I defrosted a wild pig shoulder roast. It was not a neat roast shape because G makes a point of removing all tendons and silver skin. I seasoned the meat inside and out with a spice rub mixed with Dijon. Tied the meat into roast shape and marinated in red wine and mirepoix over night. I drained off the marinade leaving the mirepoix clinging to the roast, vacuum sealed, heated the water bath to 316 degrees F. Submerged the bag in the water and cooked for 24 hours. Took the roast out of the bag. Patted dry and seared all sides in a cast iron skillet. Made a gravy from the bag drippings. OMG! Fork tender. No gamy taste. My next Sous Vide will be a venison roast.
Wow, sounds like you need your own tv show, such precision. I'm impressed. :)

Russ

Chicken breasts out for tortillas for dinner. Won't be authentic like caseydog would make but good enough for this kiwi. Wife hasn't been able to find an avo. I'll make do,lol.

Russ

The rules for tacos are pretty loose. The only thing some people do that I object to is put too many things on them. A meat, a veggie and some kind of sauce/salsa is all your need -- maybe some cheese, too. Keep them simple. Some sliced chicken, shredded lettuce and a squeeze of lime, and I'm happy.

CD

The rules for tacos are pretty loose. The only thing some people do that I object to is put too many things on them. A meat, a veggie and some kind of sauce/salsa is all your need -- maybe some cheese, too. Keep them simple. Some sliced chicken, shredded lettuce and a squeeze of lime, and I'm happy.

CD
I'm marinading/ coating chicken in this stuff.plus salsa is store bought. If it was summer I would make from garden ingredients. It's threatening to snow here to ground level. It's bloody cold at the moment.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom