What did you cook or eat today (June 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dinner this evening will be pork burgers on english muffins with feta cheese, Worcestershire sauce, a tiny bit of Cholula hot sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper and Italian bread crumbs all kneaded into the ground pork prior to cooking. I prefer this with blue cheese but I don't have any so feta it is. On the side we're having a traditional Mexican tortilla soup with added chunks of avocado. I don't have limes either so I will substitute lemon. Ole.

The leftover ground pork will become a picadillo for tomorrow's dinner. I'm not aware of a traditional Cuban picadillo since all that is required is ground meat with sofrito and rice on which to serve it. The rest is usually what you have in the refrigerator and pantry to add flavors. I usually add a little cumin seed and tomato and raisins or dried cranberries.

Last edited:
Lunch of ring bologna and crackers.

IMG_4646.jpeg

The leftover ground pork will become a picadillo for tomorrow's dinner. I'm not aware of a traditional Cuban picadillo since all that is required is ground meat with sofrito and rice on which to serve it. The rest is usually what you have in the refrigerator and pantry to add flavors. I usually add a little cumin seed and tomato and raisins or dried cranberries.

Most Cubans I know use ground beef and add salad olives besides the other things. Never heard of anybody using dried cranberries though. Some also add little cubes of fried potatoes.

Nicoise salad. Tonnino jarred tuna filets at 12 o'clock, then clockwise grape tomatoes, French green beans, HB eggs, nicoise olives (I pitted them), potatoes tossed with white wine while hot, and sliced radish. Dressing was fresh thyme, white wine vinegar, S&P, Dijon mustard, a tiny bit of sugar, EVOO mixed with a bit of vegetable oil and some oil from the tuna jar, and the juice from the tomatoes that collected after seasoning them.
20230609_180426.jpg

Lunch ended up on the road today. After shopping we needed to buy some firewood. 440kg later... (our combined unbreaked towing weight is 750kg, so we had about 60kg spare! )

20230610_122342.jpg
20230610_122348.jpg
20230610_123256.jpg
the burrito place was unexpectedly closed, no idea why especially given its a public holiday weekend here, so back to Sushi & Nori. Hubby had the veg tempora roll and 1 rice & avo, I had 2 rice and avo. Plus we had a donut each.

Most Cubans I know use ground beef and add salad olives besides the other things. Never heard of anybody using dried cranberries though. Some also add little cubes of fried potatoes.
Picadillo is nothing more than ground meat, sofrito and rice on which to serve it. Beyond that it is up to the cook. Ground beef is more common than ground pork. My wife has an allergy to beef so we use pork. Olives and potatoes are excellent additions. So are raisins and dried cranberries. In Cuba (I was raised there as a child) adding raisins was a common addition in our kitchen. It is an authentic and traditional ingredient for our family.

Mincemeat in Spanish is "carne picada." The term "picadillo" derives from that. As always, recipes are not rules. They are recommendations for you to motivate your cooking skills and adapt as you prefer. I'll bet the Cubans you know make a fine picadillo. It is a basic comfort food all over the Spanish speaking world with as many versions as there are cooks.

Sunday -
Homemade - wontons for soup (red pork strips (homemade), baby bok choy, scallions, sesame seeds, hot chili oil, and mushrooms) and fried wontons (2 dipping sauces not pictured), and fried rice (onion, carrot, red pork cubes (homemade), soybean sprouts, soy sauce, scallions, and egg).

wonton_soup_060423_img_1093-jpg.jpg

fried_wontons_fried_rice_060423_img_1090-jpg.jpg

Yesterday -
Individual chicken pot pie (1 - 2 servings each). Top crust only.

chicken_pot_pie_051823_1_img_1063-jpg.jpg

chicken_pot_pie_060923_img_1104-jpg.jpg

chicken_pot_pie_051823_2_img_1065-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom