What did you cook or eat today (March 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recipe - Orecchiette in a soubise sauce with bacon
2021-03-26-19-18-24-jpg.jpg

Forgot to post my dinner photo yesterday. Gluten-free pizza with mushrooms and prosciutto (boiled ham)
It was good only a tad salty.

I thought prosciutto was cured ham (but not smoked like many hams in the US). In the US, boiled ham is very different than prosciutto. It is very bland -- the reason my parents love it. :laugh:

CD

I thought prosciutto was cured ham (but not smoked like many hams in the US). In the US, boiled ham is very different than prosciutto. It is very bland -- the reason my parents love it. :laugh:

CD

That’s why I asked this a few days ago to someone (needless to say I didn’t get the reply) if the reference to “prosciutto” was for Parma ham/cured ham (prosciutto crudo) or boiled ham/cooked ham (prosciutto cotto).

That’s why I asked this a few days ago to someone (needless to say I didn’t get the reply) if the reference to “prosciutto” was for Parma ham/cured ham (prosciutto crudo) or boiled ham/cooked ham (prosciutto cotto).

Ah, I did not know there was a boiled version (prosciutto cotto). I never see "Parma ham" in stores here, just prosciutto (the cured one).

CD

Ah, I did not know there was a boiled version (prosciutto cotto). I never see "Parma ham" in stores here, just prosciutto (the cured one).

CD

Maybe I’m getting confused about translations :scratchhead:

This is what we say as “prosciutto cotto” ( which I literally translate as boiled/cooked ham - but I am probably wrong)

Maybe I’m getting confused about translations :scratchhead:

This is what we say as “prosciutto cotto” ( which I literally translate as boiled/cooked ham - but I am probably wrong)

Here are two pictures of boiled ham in the US. The first is Boars Head (a quality brand), and the second is what most people in the US buy.

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 2.59.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 2.51.15 AM.png

The best hams made in the US are Virginia Country Hams. Dry cured, aged, smoked.

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 3.09.15 AM.png

CD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom