What did you cook or eat today (March 2023)?

No pics, `cuz ya know, making Stir Fry is fast moving and I like to eat my food hot.

Stir fry thinly sliced NY Strip Steak with fresh Asparagus served over my leftover Lo Mein from our favorite Asian Bistro,
YUM!

For the Stir Fry Sauce, I've started using half Dark Soy and half light soy, very nice. I use this recipe

Back home in Hawaii, I never really made very much Asian dishes, because we had so many super place less than a mile from our house and it was inexpensive for take out.
Over the years of living here on the "Mainland" I've had to teach myself how to cook the dishes that we like and found some new ones along the way.

I made a creamy tomato and mascarpone cheese pasta, with lots of spinach thrown in. Husband cooked some chicken to add to his portion.

I also made beef bone broth - apparently drinking something collagen-rich (like bone broth) 30 minutes before exercise can aid in healing, so I’m going to try it and see if it does my ankle any good.

Last edited:
I
No pics, `cuz ya know, making Stir Fry is fast moving and I like to eat my food hot.

Stir fry thinly sliced NY Strip Steak with fresh Asparagus served over my leftover Lo Mein from our favorite Asian Bistro,
YUM!

For the Stir Fry Sauce, I've started using half Dark Soy and half light soy, very nice. I use this recipe

Back home in Hawaii, I never really made very much Asian dishes, because we had so many super place less than a mile from our house and it was inexpensive for take out.
Over the years of living here on the "Mainland" I've had to teach myself how to cook the dishes that we like and found some new ones along the way.
I Use oyster sauce stirred in. Lovely

Russ

Sichuan cold chicken with chili oil:

236E861C-A47F-4950-BA0B-25BA9AC2114F.jpeg

Sesame and peanut glass noodles:

D174EF93-FCC1-4706-B08C-12FAE7D57576.jpeg

Oops. Didn't quite get the underneath crispy enough to turn out, especially not with a big drop between height of rice and top of lid. Still it tastes excellent.
If you look, and I hadn't, you'll see that the stuff that didn't turn out is much paler brown in colour than the stuff that did. 2 explanations, 1 the filling affected the rice more than expected and 2 I had more time on my hands, so cooked the dish at a lower temperature for longer to accommodate hubby driving home, and the base didn't get hot enough to crisp up properly. Totally my fault for not rushing it! Lol

Was rummaging around the freezer looking for some crepes (which I couldn’t find) when I discovered some maple-oat scones from a while back.

I covered one of those with clotted cream (which, according to the little jar, has a very short life span once opened) and sorghum (the closest thing I have to golden syrup):

26CB28FF-B0EA-4417-89C3-360E505100CC.jpeg

Apparently, clotted cream and golden syrup on a scone is referred to as thunder & lightning - I don’t know which bit is the thunder and which the lightning, but once I find out, I’ll change that one to “tornado,” since I’m subbing in an American product. 🌪️

Back
Top Bottom