What did you cook or eat today (March 2023)?

Gimmee some! It looks great and its a long time since I had seafood.
I've always wanted to try crawfish and I finally did. I think the years of watching people eat them and all the hype, it kind of ruined it for me. They were OK, but my expectations were ruined. Plus, like with all seafood, I wasn't a fan of removing the digestive tract myself.

I've always wanted to try crawfish and I finally did. I think the years of watching people eat them and all the hype, it kind of ruined it for me. They were OK, but my expectations were ruined. Plus, like with all seafood, I wasn't a fan of removing the digestive tract myself.
Umm, crawfish are supposed to be purged to get rid of anything in the digestive tract so you don't have to worry about removing it when you suck head and eat tail.

If there was still black stuff in them then they weren't properly purged.

Did you get river run or pond raised?

Well as mentioned elsewhere having an enforced hotel stay.

Had the langoustine. Absolutely delicious, delightfully messy.

Although to me these weren't langoustine rather more like large prawns.

20230320_200330.jpg

I haven't done a crawfish boil in years. I have the gas burner and crawfish pot, but it is not something you cook for one. Here is the last one I did.

Crawfish001.jpg

CD

Cook's Country pickled shrimp, though I made a couple of changes. Instead of fennel seed and dill, I used some thin slices of fennel bulb and fronds since I had them, and I dropped the fennel and red onion slices in the hot vinegar mixture. We both really liked the shrimp. A new recipe for deviled eggs that needs a small tweak, but we both really liked as well. Green olives obviously. Alouette garlic and herb cheese spread with crackers. It was pretty good too.

20230320_180712.jpg

And speaking of Shrimp ...
IMG_2748.JPG

For Moi with some nice Ciabatta to dunk in that lovely sauce...
IMG_2747.JPG

and then for DH, New Zealand Green Lip Mussels over Rigatoni, in more "Scampi-style" sauce and then I let it snow with Parmesan Reggiano.
Two very happy campers!
I wanted bread over pasta ... choose your battles 🥷 oh, and wine too 🍷

So despite having cooked a lovely rice dish yesterday (using the last of my saffron), I've cooked 2 more today. 1 is my evening meal (among with 5 other portions) and the other is still in the oven. (Both needed the oven, so were made at the same time).

So this over stacked freezer of mine is about to take another 11 portions of food... oops.

So tonight's meal is an aubergine, tomato and rice dish.

20230321_183327.jpg
20230321_183716.jpg

It's tasty but it's from a recipe book (and I keep forgetting this point) written for westerners who don't know what spices are despite it being a Middle Eastern cookery book, and yet again, I'm underwhelmed with a recipe from it. It's the sort of book (sadly) where 1 teaspoon of ground cumin is between 6 servings and other than garlic, that was the only spice in the dish. I've modified it, doctored and SatNav'ed it, but I still feel it could be so much more. Maybe I just wanted it to be more than it is because all of the tomatoes in it are home grown. I'm hoping it will improve with reheating and perhaps some homemade garam masala, ground coriander, smoked nobke paprika, and so on.

Back
Top Bottom