What did you cook or eat today (May 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicken supreme.

chicken frying s.jpg

6 s.jpg

Same as the last few nights, pumpkin and leek stew. Last night had tofu and tempeh chopped into it as well. The pumpkin we picked up is a heritage pumpkin (variety name has been forgotten) but the flesh was the most amazing brilliant orange even when cooked. The photo does the color no justice.

20190530_063634.jpg

It also has butter beans in it but they are not the colour or variety I know from my days in th UK.

Unfortunately I didn't take photos, but I had a soup called TOM KHA (or something similar) for the first time, in a Thai restaurant.
Chicken, coconut cream, spices, mushrooms, ginger, accompanied with sticky rice as side dish, very good.

With chicken it was probably "Tom Kha Gai" and maybe it included galangal, not ginger.

View attachment 28191

If it's a day ending in Y, it's a good day for chili. This one is oh so close to being vegan: I didn't add meat, but using rendered bacon to saute the onion and peppers disqualifies it. However, it's easy enough to use a vegetable oil instead. Only 170 calories for a bowl, not counting the sour cream and chips.

Unmatched corn chips and tortilla chips added for fun and crunch.

I decided on a second take at using coffee in my chili. This time, I brewed a pot of coffee and used that instead of adding a stock. The flavor is subtle, but it's there. Plus, when is the last time you had a bowl of chili and didn't feel a little bit sleepy afterward?
I tried the same coffee-in-chili idea 2 weeks ago. You are right, the coffee taste is real subtle but still there. Yours looks great. Dark and smoky.

I tried the same coffee-in-chili idea 2 weeks ago. You are right, the coffee taste is real subtle but still there. Yours looks great. Dark and smoky.

I haven't come across "coffee in chilli" before but I've encountered advocates of "chocolate in chilli". I've not tried either though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom