What did you cook or eat today (May 2020)?

Tried my hand at making some gulab jamun today and was very happy with the result. Will throw in the recipe video down below, but it's a 13 minute epic. I can't seem to make short videos no matter how hard I try.

View: https://youtu.be/Bg17FW7f8wQ

Tried my hand at making some gulab jamun today and was very happy with the result.

They look good but if they are anything like the ones that I tried in Delhi, they will be far too sweet for me.

I'm hatching a plan for Chateaubriand but with a brandy and mustard based sauce. Any suggestions on potato style(s)?
I don't know how he did it, but they place we used to go to for our special occasion meals served wonderful chateaubriand, and the chef (George) took a rope of mashed potatoes and a rope of mashed carrot, each around an inch thick, and intertwined them, then circled (ovaled?) the sliced meat with them.

Take a zip-top plastic bag, cut an appropriate size wedge from a bottom corner, and you have a piping bag. I've been doing it for years.

View attachment 41231

CD
That's what I do.

I don't know how he did it, but they place we used to go to for our special occasion meals served wonderful chateaubriand, and the chef (George) took a rope of mashed potatoes and a rope of mashed carrot, each around an inch thick, and intertwined them, then circled (ovaled?) the sliced meat with them.

I don't know if they did it this way or not obviously, but there are plastic tubes you can buy and fill with various food stuffs that either gel or freeze into solids and then the tubes are cut away and you can form them however. It's a molecular gastronomy thing.

A small bag (about enough for 4 servings) is selling for £1 in Tesco at the moment.

If I could get an on-line delivery from Tescos...but its permanently booked up and I'm isolating. I can get Morrisons deliveries and have one due on Sunday so I'll check if they have them.

... just added to my order. :okay:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom