What did you cook or eat today (May 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your parents splurged on toothpicks?
Haha, my mom never made them - we'd get them at school. I did go to a posh school, though (farm kid in a rich school district), so maybe that accounts for the splurge in niceties!

I do remember in 6th grade (11yo), sitting down next to two girls (Donna and Annie) with my lunch tray with pigs-in-a-blanket, and they both stared at me intently, and I had no clue as to why.

As soon as I picked up a little piggy and bit into it, end first as you do, they both gasped in mock horror, and Donna exclaimed, "Tasty! How could you?!" and they both fell out giggling uncontrollably.

Dirty-minded girls!

Chicken rolls stuffed with ham and cheese, wrapped in rolled pancetta. Served with baked potatoes Parmigiano-garlic flavoured

New batch of American pancakes for kid last night,loves them.
I always use honey!
On another forum, someone mentioned she tried pancakes like Almanzo Wilder of "Little House on the Prairie" liked them, slathered in butter and sprinkled with maple sugar. An excerpt from the book "Farmer Boy," which was about his life growing up.

“Ten pancakes cooked on the smoking griddle, and as fast as they were done Mother added another cake to each stack and buttered it lavishly and covered it with maple sugar. Butter and sugar melted together and soaked the fluffy pancakes and dripped all down their crisp edges."

That was stacked pancakes. Almanzo liked them better than any other kind of pancakes.”

Next time we have pancakes, I am going to try this as we already have maple sugar from curing bacon.

I went to the local Asian supermarket today for a few things, and as I wandered through the store, I saw some Kimchi in a refrigerated case. I figured I would try it. There were a few varieties, but I found a "traditional" kimchi actually made in Korea, so I bought a small jar of that.

Let's just say that my first experience with kimchi will be my last. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it, either. But, I did try it.

CD

@murphyscreek
I'm not a huge fan either.

I'm not fond of it by itself either (same with sauerkraut, even homemade), unless it's 1 of many banchan, but we do use it as an ingredient in other things. I make ours, have never bought it. There are different kinds of kimchi, as well as people prefer to eat it at different ages. Like sauerkraut, it gets stronger the more it ages, so keep that in mind. I like cucumber or daikon heavy kimchi the best.

Last edited:
Wow! Nobody took mention of my new freak'n platter and lounge plate(s). I wonder if the other stuff I got coming to be props for my food photography will go equally, unnoticed.

Wow! Nobody took mention of my new freak'n platter and lounge plate(s). I wonder if the other stuff I got coming to be props for my food photography will go equally, unnoticed.
Dude, it's the food we all look at (mostly). Got to feed our fetish! Get it, pun intended! :D

Seriously, they are very nice. Reminds me of our bento boxes.

Dude, it's the food we all look at (mostly). Got to feed our fetish! Get it, pun intended! :D

Seriously, they are very nice. Reminds me of our bento boxes.

Thanks. I can't remember when I was last called 'dude'. :wink:

As far as bento boxes go, I have got some other black and red dinnerware now that has an even more bento box look to them, but are round. These are some pretty nice stoneware items.

My kitchen play toys are almost complete now, once I receive the placemats I ordered. The only thing I haven't ordered yet is a Cuisinart 14 cup food processor. That'll wait till next month.

I noticed but I didn't comment 'cos I'm not a fan of red plates at all. Maybe its simply my taste but I think in terms of food styling, a more neutral plate generally looks better. Props are a really good idea for food styling. I've got loads of linen serviettes and one off designer plates, odd bits of cutlery etc. Great fun...

On another forum, someone mentioned she tried pancakes like Almanzo Wilder of "Little House on the Prairie" liked them, slathered in butter and sprinkled with maple sugar. An excerpt from the book "Farmer Boy," which was about his life growing up.

“Ten pancakes cooked on the smoking griddle, and as fast as they were done Mother added another cake to each stack and buttered it lavishly and covered it with maple sugar. Butter and sugar melted together and soaked the fluffy pancakes and dripped all down their crisp edges."

That was stacked pancakes. Almanzo liked them better than any other kind of pancakes.”

Next time we have pancakes, I am going to try this as we already have maple sugar from curing bacon.
I like the sound of it! 💙

I noticed but I didn't comment 'cos I'm not a fan of red plates at all. Maybe its simply my taste but I think in terms of food styling, a more neutral plate generally looks better. Props are a really good idea for food styling. I've got loads of linen serviettes and one off designer plates, odd bits of cutlery etc. Great fun...

Well, red interior plates are very dark and light consuming for photography. The black underside and rims highlight a bit. I bought that square white salad plate a while back to get a higher photographic contrast, food against plate. That was OK, but here, I wanted something that looked sharp without costing a lot and while some of the stoneware is available in multiple different colors, none of those colors, like blues, yellows, tans or so, appealed to me.

What I would have really been stunned to get would have been some very nice clay earthenware (pottery) plates, bowls and etc. with neat abstract designs on them, looking very sort of ancient or very rustic. But that stuff is amazingly expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom