What did you cook or eat today (May 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gammon, pease pudding and cheese sauce, as threatened.

I may have gone overboard on portion control, we're stuffed now.

Teriyaki flat iron steak with rice noodle salad.
View attachment 84920

The beef was a pre-seasoned job from Sainsburys, cooked to their instructions in the oven, it was OK, next time I will do it myself with some good steak so I can enjoy it medium rare.

I love flat iron steak, which used to be cheap here. But chefs started playing with it, and the price went way up.

I cook flat iron steak over charcoal at high heat, to medium rare. It's great!

CD

I got my julienne peeler today and needed to test it out!

IMG_1615.JPG

Those bits of the carrot that did not get julienne are no problem, I put them into my zip-top baggie of leftover bobs for the stock pot.

IMG_1617.JPG

Sunday Supper for us two was a boneless Pork Loin Chop in the Air Fryer, leftover oven roasted Potatoes reheated with some of those julienne Carrots and the leftover bit of fresh Snow Peas from the other night, in a quick stir fry.
The Pork was a touch over cooked for me, but DH is good so long as there's Horseradish to top everything :rolleyes:
I think it's a very pretty looking plate myself ...

We had cheese and crackers, salad, shrimp cocktail, homemade bread, fried fish, champagne, and a special dessert i made for my mother-in-law with dark chocolate brownie, homemade chocolate pudding, homemade Chantilly cream, and fresh berries. She seemed to enjoy the day and I hope she felt special. I didn't get pics of everything unfortunately, but it was a delicious meal.

I'll try for a better picture tomorrow. I forgot to take anything when it was served with rice this evening, but I made "chilli con fungi". I use grated mushrooms instead of mice or mince if predictive text will allow it for once! It works really well though on this occasion the mushrooms were Portobello mushrooms and quite dark in colour so the tomatoes aren't really showing through in the coming in the skillet picture.

View attachment 84731

If you know what you’re doing or have a friend that does, the pine forests near you are loaded with saffron pine / saffron milk caps right now.

I think you’ve inspired me to make a batch of chilli con fungi if I get another forage in. The saffies have quite a firm texture.

Last edited:
I haven’t been starving myself or the family.
Just a hectic period. I had Thai food in Sydney last Thursday with my sisters whom I hadn’t seen since Covid started so that was fantastic and then on Friday I ended up having it again up at home. Both really good. The Sydney one had fabulous prawns with ginger & lime but I love the pad Thai at my local.

Pictured.

Remnants of beef with chilli & basil
Pork penang curry
Pad Thai
Fried Tofu with satay sauce
BBQ pork plate - in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom