What did you cook or eat today (May 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday's dinner was carrot fritters, rice with carrot and lemon, and a spinach arugula salada
1685433816329.png

Tonight we are going to The Jackdaw. Let's see what being sous chef to Heston Blumenthal for seven years has done for the chef proprietor.

There will be no photos, but here is the menu.

The Jackdaw

Looks great.

Just had a look. Considering I live right next to Wales and can see Cardiff out of my window it's a bit of a shame it's a 4 hour drive away, would have to be spectacular for me to bother with an 8 hour round trip 😆

No pics, but I made a salad with a whole load of things, topped with a salsa vinaigrette, and I had a little fun by using my mandoline for every ingredient I possibly could.

I have to admit, I’m sorry I missed taking a pic, because the uniformity of it made quite a beautiful salad.

Tonight we are going to The Jackdaw. Let's see what being sous chef to Heston Blumenthal for seven years has done for the chef proprietor.

There will be no photos, but here is the menu.

The Jackdaw
Wow. Nine courses over four hours. What started as a meal ended up as a hostage situation. Very very good, but a couple of the dishes were a little out of balance for us - strong bitter and sour elements, but no sweet to counteract. But what do we know, he's the one who was trained at The Fat Duck.

No pics, but I made a salad with a whole load of things, topped with a salsa vinaigrette, and I had a little fun by using my mandoline for every ingredient I possibly could.

I have to admit, I’m sorry I missed taking a pic, because the uniformity of it made quite a beautiful salad.

In my house, that would be a fresh greens and fingertip salad with a blood dressing. :eek:

CD

Chicken cooked in broth with garlic and ginger. Rice with ginger, sweet onion and garlic, and the chicken broth used to cook the chicken. Hothouse cucumber slices and cilantro as garnishes. Broth to finish the meal. Sauce with Thai yellow bean sauce, chili-garlic sauce, tamari, rice vinegar, sugar, garlic, ginger, scallions over my chicken. Craig used it for his rice as well.

I don't remember the TV show we saw this on but it featured a Thai restaurant and this was their signature dish.

20230530_182811.jpg

I thin sliced some prime rib, piled some up, put a slice of Swiss cheese on top. I heated it in the microwave <GASP> and put it on a hard roll.

A microwave oven does do some things well. In this case, it heated the beef and melted the cheese so fast, that the meat stayed medium rare. It is like any other kitchen tool, you just have to know when and how to use it.

CD

I thin sliced some prime rib, piled some up, put a slice of Swiss cheese on top. I heated it in the microwave <GASP> and put it on a hard roll.

A microwave oven does do some things well. In this case, it heated the beef and melted the cheese so fast, that the meat stayed medium rare. It is like any other kitchen tool, you just have to know when and how to use it.

CD

I heat beef all the time in the microwave. Melts cheese also.
Now I'm hungry.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom