What did you cook or eat today (May 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Homemade butter chicken on this nice holiday weekend
Butter chicken garlic naan.jpg

Not a lot of cooking this weekend. Resting the rotten arm as much as I can.

Daughter turns 23 on Tuesday so we had a family night out with extended fam and a few friends at a wood fire pizza place about 15 minutes drive from home on Saturday night.

Her father & I decorated 2 purchased mud cakes - I removed a layer of ganache added pomegranate jam, put the ganache back on, piped almond & vanilla flavoured chocolate - as black as I could get it on the fly - buttercream, crumbled over amaretti biscuits, inverted the second cake over then decorated as below to meet the “ emo goth cake” request

I already had the tombstone from another cake years ago and the skulls are from my Halloween decs.
A77EE1A2-D7C6-4BFA-A50C-B3F6BF46D827.jpeg

Sunday was instant ramen with added stuff and a fried egg for brekky and the usual Sunday roast - leg of lamb this week.

I was dubious too but thought it worth a shot, it wasn't!
The salt was high but not too bad taste wise but it had an unpleasant acid taste, I guess from the large amount of vinegar in the Worcestershire sauce and the lemon.
Wish I'd washed it off! 😆

I never marinade good steak. Something like skirt steak, that is naturally tough, sure, but not a good cut of steak. I buy NY Strip or Ribeye* most of the time, and those are naturally tender, juicy and only need some salt and pepper for seasoning.

CD

* Note: some UK cuts have different names than US cuts.

I was dubious too but thought it worth a shot, it wasn't!
The salt was high but not too bad taste wise but it had an unpleasant acid taste, I guess from the large amount of vinegar in the Worcestershire sauce and the lemon.
Wish I'd washed it off! 😆

Using both soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce is something I don't do. One or the other. But, I'm not a big fan of Worcestershire sauce to begin with.

I use lime juice in my fajita (skirt steak) marinade, but that acid is needed to break down that tough cut of steak. I would never use it on a good steak I plan to eat... well, as a steak. I use lime instead of lemon because lime is a little less sour (more subtle). I also use equal parts fresh squeezed lime and orange juices. You get the acid without the pucker face.

CD

Not a lot of cooking this weekend. Resting the rotten arm as much as I can.

Daughter turns 23 on Tuesday so we had a family night out with extended fam and a few friends at a wood fire pizza place about 15 minutes drive from home on Saturday night.

Her father & I decorated 2 purchased mud cakes - I removed a layer of ganache added pomegranate jam, put the ganache back on, piped almond & vanilla flavoured chocolate - as black as I could get it on the fly - buttercream, crumbled over amaretti biscuits, inverted the second cake over then decorated as below to meet the “ emo goth cake” request

I already had the tombstone from another cake years ago and the skulls are from my Halloween decs.
View attachment 100583

Sunday was instant ramen with added stuff and a fried egg for brekky and the usual Sunday roast - leg of lamb this week.

I'm turning 62 in a few weeks. I'd hate to see how you would decorate my cake if that's what you do for 23. :eek:

CD

Using both soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce is something I don't do. One or the other. But, I'm not a big fan of Worcestershire sauce to begin with.

I use lime juice in my fajita (skirt steak) marinade, but that acid is needed to break down that tough cut of steak. I would never use it on a good steak I plan to eat... well, as a steak. I use lime instead of lemon because lime is a little less sour (more subtle). I also use equal parts fresh squeezed lime and orange juices. You get the acid without the pucker face.

CD

I couldn't bring myself to buy tough steak to test it on, mainly because if it didn't sufficiently tenderise it I would have had to eat tough steak 😆

The marinade is part of the steps I'm looking at to tenderise the Spanish cuts which so far even at the pricier end of the scale are not tender. It's slaughtered later here and chewing gum meat is just not something I enjoy.

Skirt seems to be called Bavette in the UK now and Chuck now seems to be called Flat Iron.
Both of which I consider good enough for slow cooking and am always happy with the result.

I couldn't bring myself to buy tough steak to test it on, mainly because if it didn't sufficiently tenderise it I would have had to eat tough steak 😆

The marinade is part of the steps I'm looking at to tenderise the Spanish cuts which so far even at the pricier end of the scale are not tender. It's slaughtered later here and chewing gum meat is just not something I enjoy.

Skirt seems to be called Bavette in the UK now and Chuck now seems to be called Flat Iron.
Both of which I consider good enough for slow cooking and am always happy with the result.

Bavette is not the same cut, but it is somewhat similar. Bavette comes from near the skirt steak, but is a lesser used muscle, so it is not as tough or stringy as skirt steak.

Chuck steak is definitely not the same as flat iron steak in the US. Flat iron steak is very tender, and is cooked hot and fast like tenderloin. It is sometimes known as "poor man's tenderloin" in the US. I love it. Chuck is a low and slow cooking cut of beef.

A big challenge on this international forum is that when I mention cuts of beef, I never know whether people in other parts of the world will know what I'm talking about, because of the different naming conventions.

CD

Bavette is not the same cut, but it is somewhat similar. Bavette comes from near the skirt steak, but is a lesser used muscle, so it is not as tough or stringy as skirt steak.

Chuck steak is definitely not the same as flat iron steak in the US. Flat iron steak is very tender, and is cooked hot and fast like tenderloin. It is sometimes known as "poor man's tenderloin" in the US. I love it. Chuck is a low and slow cooking cut of beef.

A big challenge on this international forum is that when I mention cuts of beef, I never know whether people in other parts of the world will know what I'm talking about, because of the different naming conventions.

CD
At butchers in the UK it was all lumped in under the same name. As in only good enough for casseroles. They've obviously cottoned on to the idea they can sell a lot more 'steak' that way.

So what do you call rump and sirloin our two most popular steak cuts?

At butchers in the UK it was all lumped in under the same name. As in only good enough for casseroles. They've obviously cottoned on to the idea they can sell a lot more 'steak' that way.

So what do you call rump and sirloin our two most popular steak cuts?

Rump is not something I ever buy. People roast it here, but it's not my "cup of tea." (see what I did there)

Sirloin seems to be something different here than the UK. It is a rather cheap and lean cut here, but seems to be what the good restaurants serve there. So, I have to think it is not the same cut in both countries.

The cut we call sirloin is something I would use in a soup or stew... or chili. I wouldn't cook it and eat it like a steak, although a lot of people do, probably because it is cheaper than the cuts I prefer. Chain "steakhouses" like Outback Steakhouse sell mostly sirloin, but Outback can ruin any steak, so why pay extra for a ruined ribeye?

CD

I did cook yesterday but it wasn't ready come time for our evening meal. A knife was meant to slide in easily. That's not what I'd got. So it went back into the oven.

Instead we had the filling that hadn't fitted into the stuffed pumpkin which was some 75% of the filling. I guess my squash was more flesh than seeds.

So this is what we didn't eat.
20230528_180434.jpg

And this is what we ended up with which frankly looks like a filling/stuffing, but tasted excellent, thankfully (and it was a lot more moist than it looks).
20230528_180904.jpg

CD

I buy Worcester sauce by 5 liter. I use a lot of it. Marinating I use juice from mandarin. We always have them here.

Russ

Wifes at a conference here in Christchurch. Her outfit pay for everything. Shes staying 20 mins away.
Shes living the life of riley, I'm batching for 5 days.
Food wont be huge here.
Today cup of earl and biscuits x2 its 2pm here.
Cheese on toast prolly for dinner??

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom