What did you cook or eat today (November 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After spending half the day making salsa (well, two hours anyway) I thought "just knock up a pork chilli burger". I defrosted and lightly toasted the bun and prepared the grass, ketchup and chillis.

However, when I went to the freezer for the pork patty there was none to be seen! After a comprehensive search I discovered a bought in beef patty which could have been there since Methuselah was a lad. However, beggars can't be choosers so in the frying pan it went. I shall tell you in the morning of any after effects if I'm still alive.

Air fried beef sausage with roast cauliflower and potatoes.

I generally favour red chillis, be it Thai hot or Cayenne because I find the heat more consistant. However, occasionally my wife will buy a mixture of red and green Thai hots from the market. The greens that I've used in the past have been sphincter burning but the ones she brought home a couple of weeks ago were hardly warm.

Looks like Christmas!

I was prepping for tomorrow. So lunch/dinner was half a Jersey Mike's sub

I also baked an apple pie and a berry cobbler for Thanksgiving.

View attachment 92886

View attachment 92887

I saw a tip for baking pumpkin pie and not having the pie filling crack. You bake the pie, turn the oven off, and let the pie cool down partially as the oven cools. Then take it out to set on the countertop. It worked! The slower cooling process prevented the pie fillings from cracking.

CD

I generally favour red chillis, be it Thai hot or Cayenne because I find the heat more consistant. However, occasionally my wife will buy a mixture of red and green Thai hots from the market. The greens that I've used in the past have been sphincter burning but the ones she brought home a couple of weeks ago were hardly warm.

Yeah, now that you mention it, my home grown chili peppers are more consistent when ripened to the red stage. The green ones can be mild to tongue-melting from one week to the next.

CD

As I go on about it all the time, I must have done ......... checking back.

Yes, it's here: Recipe - Salsa

My salsa roja (red) recipe is very similar to yours, although I use just jalapeños for peppers. I also used canned diced tomatoes most of the time, as I can rarely find good tasting fresh tomatoes where I live. I do use a little bit of cilantro (coriander leaf). In a salsa, after sitting in the fridge for a day, the cilantro doesn't taste like soap anymore. Maybe the acid in the tomatoes changes the cilantro.

CD

I made homemade ciabatta. It took 24 hours total time from start to out of the oven. I took pictures along the way.
20221124_113355.jpg

20221124_113820.jpg

20221124_114026.jpg

20221124_130044.jpg

20221124_133736.jpg

20221124_134732.jpg

I used it to make a roast beef sandwich with swiss, mayo, pepper, and red onions. It tasted exactly how I imagined it.....Amazing.

It is possible that it was the 8 red chillies I put in instead of the fresh green chillies your recipe used. I eat chili based stuff every day for lunch and an usually very good with chillies but maybe I'm having an off period. That said it was fine the next day.

I'm hoping to get out to our Vietnamese restaurant at the weekend and will order their laksa which is one of the hottest things on their menu. That will let me know if my tolerance has changed! Hubby will order something less spicy hot just in case.

I suppose you could simply taste test the Kashmiri chilli powder on its own - a dab on the end of a finger should be enough to tell how hot it really is.

I suppose you could simply taste test the Kashmiri chilli powder on its own - a dab on the end of a finger should be enough to tell how hot it really is.
Hey, don't spoil my chance to go out to a restaurant please, lol. That's far too sensible.

Mind you he agreed to going out, just not to the restaurant I wanted. We're going further afield to a raw food cafe so likely nothing even vaguely chilli related being served.

Thanksgiving Lunch at our local Country Club (kinda-sorta, it's a Golf Club with a bar & restaurant)

IMG_2324.JPG

It was served Buffet-style. Usual suspects for an American Thanksgiving meal. Sliced Turkey, Ham, Mashed Potato, Sage Gravy, Green Bean Casserole and Sautéed Squash with Broccoli and Sweet Bell Peppers. Not pictured is a really nice Cranberry Sauce. Oh, there was a mixed Green Salad and Rolls, but I look at that as just fillers, I went for the main event.
IMG_2325.JPG

The dessert table had several different choices, I went with Pumpkin Pie, Pecan Pie and I stole a bit of some sort of Lemon Cake ... everything was very good and the price was good too $26 usd plus tax.
I don't think that I'll ever make our Thanksgiving meal again.

After lunch, our crew went to Mr&Mrs Next Door Neighbor's house to play cards and have cake & coffee.

IMG_2321.JPG

IMG_2327.JPG

I made Pumpkin Cupcakes with a Cream Cheese Maple frosting and I topped that with Health Bar Chips, YUM!
All of those flavors worked so well together.

I was too busy cooking and serving to take pictures. Standard Thanksgiving fare. I cooked the turkey, and made the mashed potatoes. My sister made green bean casserole yesterday, and only need to heat it up today -- which se forgot to do until I noticed it was missing. :laugh:

My sister baked two pumpkin pies.

I drove my mom home in my sister's Volvo, a car that drives me nuts with all its nanny features. I took my dad a slice of pumpkin pie, which he devoured. He still enjoys eating -- actually, probably more than ever. I've heard that is common with dementia.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom