What did you cook or eat today (September 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lemon pepper crockpot chicken that was so moist and tender it was falling off the bone, placed atop a salad of mixed greens, garden tomatoes, cucumber, fontinella cheese, bacon, spring onion, and a balsamic vinaigrette drizzle with ranch dressing.

What is that?

I was expecting this question, but from someone on another continent.

King Ranch chicken is named after the King Ranch, the world's largest ranch -- in Texas, of course. It is a spicy casserole with chicken and corn tortillas. I've never made it. Here is a recipe from Southern Living Magazine...

King Ranch Chicken Casserole

CD

I was expecting this question, but from someone on another continent.

King Ranch chicken is named after the King Ranch, the world's largest ranch -- in Texas, of course. It is a spicy casserole with chicken and corn tortilla chips. I've never made it. Here is a recipe from Southern Living Magazine...

King Ranch Chicken Casserole

CD
But Texas is a different continent! :laugh:

I looked at the recipe, not my kinda food. No wonder I didn't remember it, if I'd ever heard of it or seen it before.

Yesterday with Dil and Trine we drove up a local mountain to visit a watermill that still makes flour. We got there late and it was closed for the day. They supply the konoba next door for pizza. Dil and I had a beer in the garden and watched the trout swimming.Our wives went for a walk. We then went inside to try the pizza from their wood fired oven as the late summer wasp were in nasty mode. the pics are to set the scene.
1630639555341.png
1630639604139.png
1630639651297.png
1630639679360.png
1630639709282.png

Yesterday with Dil and Trine we drove up a local mountain to visit a watermill that still makes flour. We got there late and it was closed for the day. They supply the konoba next door for pizza. Dil and I had a beer in the garden and watched the trout swimming.Our wives went for a walk. We then went inside to try the pizza from their wood fired oven as the late summer wasp were in nasty mode. the pics are to set the scene.
View attachment 70555View attachment 70556View attachment 70557View attachment 70558View attachment 70559

The four of you were in two cars... right?

CD

The four of you were in two cars... right?

CD
The third generation of BMW mini is the biggest mate.Our wives sat in the back with no complaints. On the test drive I wanted to check this so I sat in the back with my wife with no problems. I was also impressed how well it's turbo diesel engine pulled in conjunction with the 6 gear stick shift going up winding mountain roads. We will face that with no fear in Bosnia and Serbia next week.

I worked on and off overnight (in bed at 10PM, called at 11:30PM, back to bed at midnight, up again 20 minutes later, back to bed at 1:15AM, up again at 2:45AM, back to bed around 3:15AM, up again at 4AM, back to bed at 4:30AM, up for good at 6:30AM), so I had an English muffin with butter and a mug of tea around 7AM, then a BK cheeseburger and small French fries around 1PM, and now I'm in the middle of making sheet pan nachos for supper tonight.
That is exactly why I refuse to do 'on call' IT work. I don't even bother applying for jobs that mention it's a requirement (which is most) and I walked out of one interview when they mentioned it was mandatory but hadn't actually said even mentioned it in the advert. I'd rather take a lower paid job than do on call work.

That is exactly why I refuse to do 'on call' IT work. I don't even bother applying for jobs that mention it's a requirement (which is most) and I walked out of one interview when they mentioned it was mandatory but hadn't actually said even mentioned it in the advert. I'd rather take a lower paid job than do on call work.

Back in 2001 working for Haliburton, Manila I was asked to Project Manage the Malampaya Precommissioning. I told them I have given up working 7 x 24.

I've a few to catch up on

I've also been doing a little cheese making and set some chickpea miso going. Miso is pretty easy to do, cook the chickpeas to an inch of their life, mash them, add a little cooking water and when they have cooked to a set temperature at the inoculated rice (called koji). Add lots of salt, put into a sterile container, compact down so no air bubbles, salt the surface after smoothing down, seal with clingfilm resting on surface and them using more salt hold the clingfilm down with salt amounting to ⅕ of the weight of miso. Now leave for 3 months out of direct sunlight. Check at 3 month's, remove clingfilm and leave another 3 months...
I have made 3 batches of matured cheeses in the last few weeks.

The cashew brie was the first batch of cheeses (2) and is excellent. Better than most shop bought examples we've tried though I don't know how well it melts yet but I was fed up with paying $14.99 for a tiny cashew cheese weighing 190g. I can buy 500g of cashew nuts for the same price and that only requires ½ a tin of coconut cream and the brie mould (uses a tiny amount for something that cost $20 and uses 250 liters of milk to make cheese (my vegan version can be used to make dairy cheese, it is just grown on a dairy-free culture, something my allergy requires.)) So I can make roughly 600g of cashew brie for $16 or so.

I've also 2 batches of a blue cashew nut cheese going at the moment as well. One tastes great but is greasy, though I've only tasted the stuff that came off the skewer when it was stabbed (to get the blue mould going all the way through). The other is the same recipe as the brie but with a different mould. We'll see in a few weeks time. All still need more time to mature.

Additionally I've set a 4th batch going but with almonds to see if I can replicate the cashew brie with a cheaper nut. It needed much more water (the cashew version required none) and us in the fridge at the moment. I shape it and inoculate it tomorrow.

The third generation of BMW mini is the biggest mate.Our wives sat in the back with no complaints. On the test drive I wanted to check this so I sat in the back with my wife with no problems. I was also impressed how well it's turbo diesel engine pulled in conjunction with the 6 gear stick shift going up winding mountain roads. We will face that with no fear in Bosnia and Serbia next week.

I have a second gen MINI. If I am driving, the back seat behind me is useless for humans. It works fine for my dog. 🐶 When I go to lunch or dinner with friends, they drive.:laugh:

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom