What did you cook today (April 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last nights dinner. Spicy Sichuan pepper chicken with rice and prawn crackers, Pud was the last of the pancake chocolate pud with blood orange
1618283824153.png
1618283844962.png
1618283879154.png

Chef Dean Fearing has a restaurant in the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Dallas, which is famous for chicken tortilla soup. I had it once -- 16-bucks for a bowl. :ohmy: And, that's an "appetizer."

I've seen copycat recipes online. I'd like to give it a shot, someday.

CD
My husband said it was the best he'd ever had. He's picky. I've never eaten it before, dang sure never cooked it before. But it was pretty darn good.

Breaded Shrimp Balls. I bought frozen shrimp balls at a local Asian grocery store. I wasn’t sure what to do with them, so I decided to bread them and bake them. I rolled them in corn starch…

…then dipped them in an egg wash that included oyster sauce and soy sauce, finally breading them with Panko breadcrumbs, sesame seeds, and some of the berbere recipe by flyinglentris.

They do taste like shrimp, even though shrimp is not the first ingredient: it was third, after Alaskan Pollock and water. That’s right: there is more water in the shrimp balls than shrimp.

Not bad. But, it makes me want to make my own. Maybe shrimp will be higher on the ingredient list if I do.

View attachment 61135

Breaded Shrimp Balls. I bought frozen shrimp balls at a local Asian grocery store. I wasn’t sure what to do with them, so I decided to bread them and bake them. I rolled them in corn starch…

View attachment 61136

…then dipped them in an egg wash that included oyster sauce and soy sauce, finally breading them with Panko breadcrumbs, sesame seeds, and some of the berbere recipe by flyinglentris.

View attachment 61137

They do taste like shrimp, even though shrimp is not the first ingredient: it was third, after Alaskan Pollock and water. That’s right: there is more water in the shrimp balls than shrimp.

Not bad. But, it makes me want to make my own. Maybe shrimp will be higher on the ingredient list if I do.
I'm home alone so I'm having prawn breaded like yours, Deep fry for just over a minute. I'm guessing 90% prawn and rest crumbs.

Russ

Delicious. There are layers of taste. First the bourbon, then the buttery, the sweet( white and brown sugar), the fruity...a rich swirl.
I am having a piece now with greek style yoghurt and fresh grapefruit.

... did 4,5 hours at 130c...it cooled off partly in the oven, partly on the table,but I feel it could have baked for another 30 min...or maybe not.

👍🥳😁

View attachment 61113
I'm glad it worked out eventually for you. I love your description of the flavours, much better job then I did on the video. I find it a bit scary posting my baking recipes, as it's not something I'm really confident in. I only upload those that I was really happy with the end result. The timing thing is particularly difficult, as every home oven is different....but as you've illustrated you sometimes just need to adapt. Thanks so much for your feedback, really appreciate it.

Lunch: kid had Bolognese like yesterday over white flour Spaghetti, tomatoes, mozzarella.

I tried a new dish, inspired by Jamie Oliver's youtube 3 minute sauce video, combinig bay leave(me), garlic, chilli flakes(me), pelati, frozen green peas over the same spaghetti, feta.

Love it.👍💙 Tastes fresh and quite spicy (to me), but great quick lunch.

View: https://youtu.be/lWaBh-r2ZP0

View attachment 61135

View attachment 61136

View attachment 61137

I made shrimp and fish balls for my bayoubaise. They were pretty good just by themselves.

bay leave(me)

This sounds delicious. But, I had to reread this to to figure out that you meant it was your choice to add the bay leaf and chili flakes. First time through, I thought you were making a pun: do I bay leave (believe) you? Yes, I do bay leave you. :laugh:

This sounds delicious. But, I had to reread this to to figure out that you meant it was your choice to add the bay leaf and chili flakes. First time through, I thought you were making a pun: do I bay leave (believe) you? Yes, I do bay leave you. :laugh:
Well did you see medtran49's pun on bouillabaise? Bayoubaise :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom