What did you cook today (April 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever had "tom yam neau sot"?

It's tom yam soup but with stir fried beef instead of fish or seafood. It was a speciality of the restaurant opposite my house (before it closed).

I have all the ingredients here. We are not really into soup but I will make when we have friends over. Sounds good, lots of stuff I put in my Thai curry paste.

Thanks

Russ

I have all the ingredients here. We are not really into soup but I will make when we have friends over. Sounds good, lots of stuff I put in my Thai curry paste.

Thanks

Russ

I've never made it but ate it a lot when the restaurant was open. Unfortunately she made it with Thai beef so although it was thinly sliced it was still a bit tough.

If I make a tom yam it's with freshwater prawns and chicken (tom yam khung gai).

tom-yam-khung-gai-2-s-jpg.jpg

When I was building our house we were temporarily living in a terraced house about 100 metres away and the kitchen was somewhat lacking so we ate (and drank) out most of the time. As the restaurant was opposite the new build it was very convenient for lunch.

The restaurant was also a bit "out of the way" from the main town albeit well known. I regularly came across Thai's that I knew from town lunching with their mia noys (second wives).

Last edited:
It looked like we were eating a plate of pepto-bismol since you cook the pasta in the water used to cook the beets.

Reminds me of a pasta dish I made: Recipe - Beetroot Pasta with Spinach & Ricotta
Had a go at cauliflower crust pizza..it was decent, but not pizza..a lot of mess, but after a few cans, it was all ok..View attachment 61728

View attachment 61729

View attachment 61730

Good effort but not pizza as you say. I must say I'm not a big fan of making cauliflower into fake cous-cous or pastry but it does save a lot of calories.

Have you ever had "tom yam neau sot"?

It's tom yam soup but with stir fried beef instead of fish or seafood. It was a speciality of the restaurant opposite my house (before it closed).
Yorkers mate the nearest I got to that was when I lived in the UK. A business associate owned a factory that prepped meat for the supermarkets. I would by a few kgs of the fillet trimming's . I used some for a very camp retro fondue party.

It looks as it should. What was it that you didn't like so much? For me it would be far too 'meat heavy' so I've never tried it.

It had a very strong taste. Probably the vinegar in the sauce but the whole beef side of the dish was a taste that I was not happy with. Maybe I could mess with the recipe somewhat but with the price of beef here I don't think that I'll bother.

Good effort but not pizza as you say. I must say I'm not a big fan of making cauliflower into fake cous-cous or pastry but it does save a lot of calories.
It's not something I would eat often. For somebody who sold pizza for over 20 years I'd much rather whip up a batch of dough..but, it was fun to try..I like to see if I can perfect things..I was on my hands and knees for 20 minutes just watching the crust cook up..the recipe was wrong..I had to leave it in almost 10 more minutes than it called for..it would have fallen apart if I took it out after the suggested time period..

Pork ground meat, sneaked in zucchini, carrot and garlic, for kid's meatballs. For 3 days lunch, brought them over at her Dad(my ex husband) so that she can have lunches.

And I went off to work. Lunch pancakes filled with cheese, on the go, literally, walking from the bakery to point C and eating.

Lovely sunshine and nice and warm.😎

It had a very strong taste. Probably the vinegar in the sauce but the whole beef side of the dish was a taste that I was not happy with. Maybe I could mess with the recipe somewhat but with the price of beef here I don't think that I'll bother.
We love bulgogi and it's not vinegary. I think you got a bad recipe.

I use Bulgogi (Korean BBQ Beef). Her recipes have always been good.

It would be interesting to know how this recipe differs from the one that Yorky used.
I'm betting Yorky used vinegar in place of the pear/apple, as they are used partly for the tenderizing enzyme they contain. I've seen recipes that used just vinegar and can see where there would be a strong vinegar taste.

To serve over pasta, might have to increase the marinade amount a bit, then cook just meat and veges first, lifting them out of marinade, remove, then adding remainder of marinade to let it heat thru without overcooking the meat.

I absolutely love her bibimbap recipe. You'd probably like it as well, as you can use as little or as much ground meat as you want. And make it as spicy as you want. I triple the sauce recipe as Craig really likes it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom