What did you cook today (April 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheese burek, milk rice, wonderful fresh raspberries, brown dry rice cake crackers in case of hunger in the next 6 hours...

Also would like to share the story of this soup:
This traditional Turkish soup goes back to early 1900's. In the region of Antep, a beautiful lady, Zöhre, later nicknamed as ‘Ezo’, (meaning attractive or beautiful), ended up marrying a man chosen for her by her elders. After a couple of happy years, her husband mistreated her so badly that she was eventually granted a divorce, something quite unusual at that time.
After 6 years of solitude she had again no choice but to marry her cousin who later moved to todays Syria which was part of the Ottoman Empire before the 1st World War.
In order to win the favor of her mother in law, Ezo was asked to prove her worth in the kitchen by creating a dish and she created a spiced lentil soup using the simple ingredients she had at hand – it is this soup she made that we now know as ‘Ezogelin’, or ‘Beautiful Bride's soup".
Like many stories, this one also doesn’t end well for Zöhre (Ezo). Soon after the marriage, the Ottoman Empire collapsed and Turkey was founded. The borders between Syria and Turkey were established. Ezo living in a foreign land, with no money and without any hope to see her hometown again, spent her years in an utter misery. It is said that because of her deep longing for her hometown, Ezo died of tuberculosis in 1956 and has since become a Turkish legend, depicted in popular films and lamented in folksongs.
Her name lives on in this popular soup now, which is now traditionally fed to brides to sustain them for the uncertain future that lies ahead.
Recipe video: https://youtu.be/xNdXAd6tWUk

Also would like to share the story of this soup:
This traditional Turkish soup goes back to early 1900's. In the region of Antep, a beautiful lady, Zöhre, later nicknamed as ‘Ezo’, (meaning attractive or beautiful), ended up marrying a man chosen for her by her elders. After a couple of happy years, her husband mistreated her so badly that she was eventually granted a divorce, something quite unusual at that time.
After 6 years of solitude she had again no choice but to marry her cousin who later moved to todays Syria which was part of the Ottoman Empire before the 1st World War.
In order to win the favor of her mother in law, Ezo was asked to prove her worth in the kitchen by creating a dish and she created a spiced lentil soup using the simple ingredients she had at hand – it is this soup she made that we now know as ‘Ezogelin’, or ‘Beautiful Bride's soup".
Like many stories, this one also doesn’t end well for Zöhre (Ezo). Soon after the marriage, the Ottoman Empire collapsed and Turkey was founded. The borders between Syria and Turkey were established. Ezo living in a foreign land, with no money and without any hope to see her hometown again, spent her years in an utter misery. It is said that because of her deep longing for her hometown, Ezo died of tuberculosis in 1956 and has since become a Turkish legend, depicted in popular films and lamented in folksongs.
Her name lives on in this popular soup now, which is now traditionally fed to brides to sustain them for the uncertain future that lies ahead.
Recipe video: https://youtu.be/xNdXAd6tWUk

Such a touching story, thank you for sharing it. I’m always keen when I can learn something new to me about other countries cuisines. I really like yours. And this soup is great

Such a touching story, thank you for sharing it. I’m always keen when I can learn something new to me about other countries cuisines. I really like yours. And this soup is great
Thank you, likewise I am also keen the know about the stories of other cuisines, especially Italian food!

Pizza from the tavern up on the corner:

The installer for the backsplash is here, and we're treating.

The tavern has been on my 💩 list for a while, but they're back in my good graces because they've tuned on of the TVs to SkyNews. I had to do a double-take to be sure:

Ezo living in a foreign land, with no money and without any hope to see her hometown again, spent her years in an utter misery. It is said that because of her deep longing for her hometown, Ezo died of tuberculosis in 1956 and has since become a Turkish legend, depicted in popular films and lamented in folksongs.
Thank you for the story. It is very very sad.
I hope not only sad stories get remembered.
It reminded me of another story. It is also very sad. My late Grandmother's friend in Sofia, a lady we would often visit during the summer and eat her lovely own yard grown pears, had a daughter. The daughter had fallen in love with an Egyptian student, who came to study to Sofia. He invited her to move to Egypt. Her mother was against, as they did not really know him or his family. But daughter went. She never came back. She never wrote to her mother. Never called. Noone knows what became of her.
That was one of the scariest stories I remember from the otherwise gorgeous summers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom