What did you cook today (November 2016)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday for me, and well still today for most of you...
I cooked the following: aromatic vegetable pasties in a yoghurt pastry served with a homemade, original recipe of 5 lentil and bean salad with a ginger, lemon, lime and honey vinaigrette dressing. (The lentils were red, yellow, green, brown and puy (known here as French lentils), the beans were actually what I know as black eyed peas but are black eyed beans outside the UK, with onion, red pepper, spring onions and some firm tofu.)
I didn't get chance last night to photo anything, so when I cook up the remainder of the pasties (I only did 4 yesterday because of time constraints) I will do some pictures then. I also plan to add some cookies to that list of what is going into the oven today - may as well use the oven full when it is on and hot!

Yesterday for me, and well still today for most of you...
I cooked the following: aromatic vegetable pasties in a yoghurt pastry served with a homemade, original recipe of 5 lentil and bean salad with a ginger, lemon, lime and honey vinaigrette dressing. (The lentils were red, yellow, green, brown and puy (known here as French lentils), the beans were actually what I know as black eyed peas but are black eyed beans outside the UK, with onion, red pepper, spring onions and some firm tofu.)
I didn't get chance last night to photo anything, so when I cook up the remainder of the pasties (I only did 4 yesterday because of time constraints) I will do some pictures then. I also plan to add some cookies to that list of what is going into the oven today - may as well use the oven full when it is on and hot!
Pictures.. yes! And why are they 'aromatic'? Name your aromats please!:happy:

I cook "aromatic yellow rice" (per Madhur) but I haven't a clue why it's called "aromatic" (I know why it's called "yellow").

Pictures.. yes! And why are they 'aromatic'? Name your aromats please!:happy:

I cook "aromatic yellow rice" (per Madhur) but I haven't a clue why it's called "aromatic" (I know why it's called "yellow").

posted on here over 2 and a half years ago.... enjoy. I do find the volume of pastry to filling is wrong, (not enough) and have a tendency to double the spices (as I pretty much always do with most recipes nowadays...)
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/aromatic-vegetable-pasties-with-yoghurt-pastry.1837/

I didn't actually make the pasty but I personally put it in the oven and made the gravy.

pastie s.jpg

It has the word radish in it. I don't like radishes... OK Japanese horseradish is OK, actually I rather like wasabi but otherwise I am not a fan of radishes... not at all... sorry... but it does look colourful.

I came across this earlier this year - it's called kaiware here and apparently described as "sprouted daikon radish seeds ... having a very powerful radish flavour with a real peppery finish". It was very tasty.

Kaiware.jpg

Lunch (all but the pita made by me...:D)
pita with homemade smokey paprika & BBQ flavoured cashew nut cheese - great tang to the cashew nut cheese because I left it for days and days out in the open to mature...
Served with a bowl of 5 lentil & black eyed pea salad, chopped avocado and some raw broccoli.

Hopefully that will stop me picking this afternoon! :popcorn:

An experiment, and more to the point, a successful one as well.
IMG_6374.JPG

An egg - and a theory
IMG_6349.JPG

OK - I didn't make the egg, but I did to the seagrass weave on the stool (which is not a flat stool but a concave one (sides are higher than the middle making seagrass weaving interesting..)
But I have a theory about fresh eggs, hard boiling them, salted water and peeling them.... but I still have a couple more pictures for @morning glory which I promised to do and well I haven't got as far as my evening meal yet, so I can't yet do them and I'm sore and need some morphine...

Last edited:
I came across this earlier this year - it's called kaiware here and apparently described as "sprouted daikon radish seeds ... having a very powerful radish flavour with a real peppery finish". It was very tasty.

View attachment 3985
That would be an ideal substitute for the traditional mustard cress used in egg and cress sandwiches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom