What did you eat/cook today (January 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight we were lazy. My friend likes fish and chips when he feels down and right now he is a bit down about his work. So you can guess the rest.

A few items cooked or eaten over the last few days.

The Kentish Sour Cherry Crumble made at the tail end of last weekend and eaten on Saturday I think it was..
IMG_7711.JPG

It was truly delicious and required no extra sugar at all.

Whilst out picking the veg and herbs for the quiches I made on Saturday, someone nearly ended up on someone's menu. I have learnt to be very careful living here in Australia and never ever put my hands into anything I can't see what is there. It was the tail that caught my eye initially and then I went and got the camera. Pulling back the sweet basil with a stick I found this dragon! (It is a dragon, I have just not completely id'ed it, but it is most likely a Jacky Dragon and a juvenile at that.)
IMG_7731.JPG

2 of the 5 quiches I made over the weekend for this week (Saturday was cool... this week is not. Overnight temperatures have been +25C last night and Saturday never made it to even 22C with the oven on!
IMG_7755.JPG

This one had a mishap on the oven shelf going over the back of it and rearranging itself!

I am working on presentation... but the entire quiche came out whole and in one go from the Pyrex glass dish it was cooked in. So I was happy (in fact all 5 did... :whistling:)
IMG_7756.JPG

And finally, a husband size proportion. I have been nagging him about portion control. Mine was less, but still needs to be much less. I only ate roughly half of what he served me and he served me less than this...
It is quiche ( a 3rd one) with a pasta salad and a lentil & bean salad. The pasta salad is made up of 3 pastas, 2 normal and the 3rd is made from chickpea and other beans instead of 00 flour. The pasta salad is with a peanut butter salad dressing I made up on the spot. And the mung bean, adzuki bean and puy lentil salad was a tamari, lemon and miso salad dressing that I used from a new cookbook.

IMG_7761.JPG

Now I am curious, how many grams is a serving? Say beef or chicken.

For a chili (con carne) my servings are in the order of 300 gms and eaten with bread, naan or rice.

For a curry my servings are around 200 - 250 gms and generally eaten with potatoes, rice and naan.

That is way cheaper than our strong cheddar. Our cheeses are sold in lots of 226 grams for £4 minumum and those are all for Kraft or store brands. The high end stuff goes for a lot more.
Interesting that your foods are sold in roughly 1/3 kilogram blocks and ours are 125 grams less or a half a pound.

Now I am curious, how many grams is a serving? Say beef or chicken.
It depends what you mean. The chilli I made served three (or 2 if greedy) and that was 500g minced lamb. But it was mixed with beans. I'll have to think about ths and get back to you!

A few items cooked or eaten over the last few days.

The Kentish Sour Cherry Crumble made at the tail end of last weekend and eaten on Saturday I think it was..
View attachment 5147
It was truly delicious and required no extra sugar at all.

Whilst out picking the veg and herbs for the quiches I made on Saturday, someone nearly ended up on someone's menu. I have learnt to be very careful living here in Australia and never ever put my hands into anything I can't see what is there. It was the tail that caught my eye initially and then I went and got the camera. Pulling back the sweet basil with a stick I found this dragon! (It is a dragon, I have just not completely id'ed it, but it is most likely a Jacky Dragon and a juvenile at that.)
View attachment 5145

2 of the 5 quiches I made over the weekend for this week (Saturday was cool... this week is not. Overnight temperatures have been +25C last night and Saturday never made it to even 22C with the oven on!
View attachment 5146
This one had a mishap on the oven shelf going over the back of it and rearranging itself!

I am working on presentation... but the entire quiche came out whole and in one go from the Pyrex glass dish it was cooked in. So I was happy (in fact all 5 did... :whistling:)
View attachment 5150

And finally, a husband size proportion. I have been nagging him about portion control. Mine was less, but still needs to be much less. I only ate roughly half of what he served me and he served me less than this...
It is quiche ( a 3rd one) with a pasta salad and a lentil & bean salad. The pasta salad is made up of 3 pastas, 2 normal and the 3rd is made from chickpea and other beans instead of 00 flour. The pasta salad is with a peanut butter salad dressing I made up on the spot. And the mung bean, adzuki bean and puy lentil salad was a tamari, lemon and miso salad dressing that I used from a new cookbook.

View attachment 5148,

Your quiches look cute! The one thing I often think when I see your whole plated dishes is that they have a lot of carbs. I'm not being critical - its an observation. I love carbs. But I would never serve a pie or quiche with additional carbohydrates. In the above plate there are three portions of carbs - lentils/beans, pastry and pasta. I'm not saying its wrong - after all, people eat burgers in buns with added chips.

My daughter is vegetarian and loves quiche - In fact, I made a quiche a few days back ( Chard and Goat's Cheese Tart ). She had a 1/4 of the tart with salad, nothing else and it seemed to me to be a balanced meal.

I know that the plate was 'husband sized' portion. But I suppose I'm just puzzled why the added carbs.

Last edited:
Your quiches look cute! The one thing I often think when I see your whole plated dishes is that they have a lot of carbs. I'm not being critical - its an observation. I love carbs. But I would never serve a pie or quiche with additional carbohydrates. In the above plate there are three portions of carbs - lentils/beans, pastry and pasta. I'm not saying its wrong - after all, people eat burgers in buns with added chips.

My daughter is vegetarian and loves quiche - In fact, I made a quiche a few days back ( Chard and Goat's Cheese Tart ). She had a 1/4 of the tart with salad, nothing else and it seemed to me to be a balanced meal.

I know that the plate was 'husband sized' portion. But I suppose I'm just puzzled why the added carbs.
I think the carbs come from our (previously) very active lifestyle. we lived off bread, pasta and more bread. oats for breakfast, with bread afterwards, bread for lunch, evening meal pasta and bread. it's always wholegrain so slower release carbs though and even now my oh is losing weight.
The pastry though is not actually that thick. I did up 800g of pastry in total weight (roughly). it's all wholemeal pastry, it's made 5 quiches each with 4 generous servings and then the extra pastry (in reality another quiche by itself but also a treat for the chooks) went to the chooks.

It's interesting that you see the quiche and the lentil/bean salad as carbs. I don't. the quiche is a mixture but mostly protein from the eggs. there's roughly an egg per serving. plus the vegetable content counts as roughly 1 veg per serving (there's a lot of hidden veg in there.) the 2 bean and lentil salad I see as protein and fibre along with being another serving of veg or 2.

I wouldn't serve the pasta salad (incidentally only half the pasta you see is true pasta, the rest is made from beans and lentils again for more protein) with a potato or rice salad. in fact I have bean (sorry for the bad pun) scratching my head as to what to put with the pasta salad because I don't want to cook in the evenings at the moment and even 10 minutes of boiling or streaming something right now when it is 35C and very humid out is just not what we are after.

My main issue had been ensuring we get enough protein in our diet. if you go by what we should be getting, we are always down on protein, over on fat and roughly correct on carbs over the course of a day. though it had been proven recently (sorry for no source on this but it's common sense really) that you don't need to be correct every day, just over the course of 2-4 days really.

And you know those little things like the 2g of Marmite I know I have on my wrap at lunchtime etc, well it's from logging things like that, that I have a pretty good idea on what the % are that we eat. I log every recipe made (very annoying and time consuming but I haven't found a better way yet), record what I eat and it does the rest.

Looking at my average stats over a week, I'm usually 40-45% carbs (50%), 35-45% fat (30%) and 15% protein (20%). in brackets is the nutritional target! i need more work on the fat side of life apparently!

I think the carbs come from our (previously) very active lifestyle. we lived off bread, pasta and more bread. oats for breakfast, with bread afterwards, bread for lunch, evening meal pasta and bread. it's always wholegrain so slower release carbs though and even now my oh is losing weight.
The pastry though is not actually that thick. I did up 800g of pastry in total weight (roughly). it's all wholemeal pastry, it's made 5 quiches each with 4 generous servings and then the extra pastry (in reality another quiche by itself but also a treat for the chooks) went to the chooks.

It's interesting that you see the quiche and the lentil/bean salad as carbs. I don't. the quiche is a mixture but mostly protein from the eggs. there's roughly an egg per serving. plus the vegetable content counts as roughly 1 veg per serving (there's a lot of hidden veg in there.) the 2 bean and lentil salad I see as protein and fibre along with being another serving of veg or 2.

I wouldn't serve the pasta salad (incidentally only half the pasta you see is true pasta, the rest is made from beans and lentils again for more protein) with a potato or rice salad. in fact I have bean (sorry for the bad pun) scratching my head as to what to put with the pasta salad because I don't want to cook in the evenings at the moment and even 10 minutes of boiling or streaming something right now when it is 35C and very humid out is just not what we are after.

My main issue had been ensuring we get enough protein in our diet. if you go by what we should be getting, we are always down on protein, over on fat and roughly correct on carbs over the course of a day. though it had been proven recently (sorry for no source on this but it's common sense really) that you don't need to be correct every day, just over the course of 2-4 days really.

And you know those little things like the 2g of Marmite I know I have on my wrap at lunchtime etc, well it's from logging things like that, that I have a pretty good idea on what the % are that we eat. I log every recipe made (very annoying and time consuming but I haven't found a better way yet), record what I eat and it does the rest.

Looking at my average stats over a week, I'm usually 40-45% carbs (50%), 35-45% fat (30%) and 15% protein (20%). in brackets is the nutritional target! i need more work on the fat side of life apparently!

Too late here for me to reply in detail. I will do so tomorrow. :)

I made a delicious fish pie, using frozen fish, frozen peas, boiled eggs that I cooked on Friday before they went out of date and a large potato that had been hanging around in the back of the cupboard. I need to go shopping tomorrow for fresh food.
I had the idea of cooking fish after sharing how I cook with the microwave in the eponymous thread.

I made a delicious fish pie, using frozen fish, frozen peas, boiled eggs that I cooked on Friday before they went out of date and a large potato that had been hanging around in the back of the cupboard. I need to go shopping tomorrow for fresh food.
I had the idea of cooking fish after sharing how I cook with the microwave in the eponymous thread.

'Eponymous' eh? :hyper: (I love words). Maybe you should be checking out the Cryptic food and drink thread? :)

Fish pie is a wonderful thing. Was the potato cooked, mashed on top?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom